Main Menu

News:

New members MUST add their correct age and gender to their Forum profiles IMMEDIATELY.

"Make America Great Again"

Started by Tessera, October 13, 2021, 08:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tessera

"Make America Great Again"

"Make America great again" implies two things.... first, it implies that there was once a time when America was great. We could debate that all day. But it also implies that these people want to return to the past, in some miraculous fashion.

To my shame, I happen to belong to the same generation as Donald Trump. So when he says "Make America great again," I'll assume he believes that at some time during his life, America was great. Okay then, since I happen to have lived through more or less the same times as Trump, let's take a quick look at the Boomer past.

Were the 1950's great? Nope... following our victory in WWII, the 1950's should have been a fun, wild decade. Much as the 1920's were, following our victory in the first world war. But instead, the 1950's were stained by McCarthyism, the "red scare," paranoia, conformity and a disturbingly high degree of sexual repression. There was also widespread fear of nuclear war. It's no wonder that rebellious music... rock and roll... originated during that decade. The 50's utterly sucked.

Were the 1960's great? Nope... now we're talking about the decade of my childhood. Major assassinations. Vietnam. Civil rights marches. Widespread civil unrest. A divided nation... far more divided than we are today, if you can believe it. Counter-culture. Hippies screaming for revolution. Hardhats beating the crap out of anti-war protesters, in the streets of Manhattan. The Black Panthers. The Weather Underground. Widespread rioting, including the famous riots in Watts and Chicago. Police brutality. A growing problem with drug addiction. The 1960's continue to be the worst decade that I have lived through so far. Fortunately, I was just a kid at the time, so most of that horror didn't affect me personally. But I saw it on the news every night. Bad memories.

Were the 1970's great?
Well... this one isn't so easy. The 1970's started off really bad... with Nixon and Watergate, the Arab oil embargo, a huge ice storm all across the northeast, huge clashes between "hawks" and "doves" over the ongoing Vietnam war, etc. But once Nixon resigned and the war ended, the second half of the 70's was actually a lot of fun. That's when Saturday Night Live debuted. That's when the first Star Wars film and many other classic summer blockbusters showed up. People were finally feeling optimistic, for the first time in many years. The music of the 70's was amazing. But trouble was just around the bend...

Were the 80's great? Well okay... for me personally, the 80's were a blast. I was a musician, I had lots of pussy every night, I was living in Hollywood and eventually, I got married. But how about the rest of America during the 80's? We had the outbreak of the AIDS epidemic and Reagan's inadequate response to it (kinda like Trump's terrible and inept response to COVID). We had Reaganomics. We had the Iran-Contra scandal... serious corruption, at the presidential level. We had widespread homelessness, for the first time since the Great Depression. We had deregulation, which allowed corporations to do a war stomp all over the face of America. They still are, to this day. We saw home prices skyrocket, placing "the American dream" out of reach for most people.

I could go on, but there's no need. I think my point has been made. By my reckoning, America has never been "great," at least not during my or Trump's lifetimes. It's just a worthless slogan, intended to appeal to the "remember when's" who are clearly afraid of the future. Frightened little people, who can't handle it whenever things change... even when things change for the better. They're vainly trying to fight the future.... which is guaranteed to be a losing battle.

BELOW: this is what America looked like, when Donald Trump was 22 years old...

That's a helicopter view of just one of the many civil right riots that took place in the late 60's.

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Blankspace

This shows that there was never such a thing as the good old days.
That's what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence.

Will Never

You should submit these posts to the NYT op-ed section Tessera.   :)

Tessera

Quote from: Will Never on October 14, 2021, 10:00:06 PM
You should submit these posts to the NYT op-ed section Tessera.   :)

I seem to recall you suggesting that one or two times before.   8)

At this stage of my life, I'm content to share my writing with the members and visitors of this web site.

But thank you.

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Tessera

Make America Tanned Again

That is without a doubt the most ridiculous looking spray-on tan that I've ever seen.   ::)

Will Never

Seriously.... What is the point...

Tessera

Quote from: Will Never on October 31, 2021, 07:15:23 AM
Seriously.... What is the point...

It reminds me of the makeup that morticians use, when somebody wants to have an open-casket funeral.

I wonder if Trump is even remotely aware of what a laughingstock he is. They say crazy people don't know
that they're crazy... well... I think we have a living example in loony Donald Trump. What a bozo.

Tessera

Fourteenth Amendment; Section 3:

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

The reason I'm quoting the 14th Amendment should be obvious, once you read and understand it. If Trump, or any of his allies in Congress (Meadows, Greene, Boebert, Gaetz, etc.) are charged with and convicted for insurrection and/or rebellion against the United States, they will be constitutionally prohibited from ever holding any public office, for the rest of their lives.

In short: if convicted, Trump can never run for president again. He can't even run for local dogcatcher. All it takes is a conviction on insurrection and rebellion charges, and Trump is GONE FOREVER.   :-*

Subcult

Wake me up when someone faces consequences for their actions

Tessera

Quote from: Subcult on March 29, 2022, 01:35:01 PM
Wake me up when someone faces consequences for their actions

Time to wake up. 800 of them in jail so far.

Tessera

"A Big, Beautiful Wall..."

ABOVE: the insurrectionists at the Capitol on Jan. 6th, 2021... showing us the value of a "big, beautiful wall."

It doesn't work here -- but somehow it will work at the border?  Fucking morons.

Blankspace

WATCH: Barr, Ivanka Trump say they knew there was no voter fraud in 2020 election

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMXMaHtr218

Trump's "allies" are no longer backing him up.

Tessera

People are angry at the Dems. I get it. Me too. Now tell us how the Republicans will do a better job. Bet you can't!

Voting against someone usually means voting for someone else who's even worse. We're all sick of voting for the lesser of two evils -- but until we eliminate corporate domination, that's what we're stuck with.

Hey Trump supporters... do you really think Trump cares about you and your life? Really? Are you actually that stupid and gullible? Don't you realize that you're being used? And when he's done using you to get what he wants, Trump will flush you down the toilet and smile. Look at how many of his allies he already threw under the bus... and you mean a lot less to Trump than they did. A vote for Trump is a vote against YOURSELF.

Tessera

REPUBLICANS: 

"We need to protect our children from books. But we don't need to protect them from bullets."

ABOVE: Sandy Hook school shooting victims

Blankspace

Quote from: Tessera on March 29, 2023, 02:39:30 PM
REPUBLICANS: 

"We need to protect our children from books. But we don't need to protect them from bullets."

ABOVE: Sandy Hook school shooting victims

And the school shootings keep happening.

Tessera

More Fun With MAGA Trolls

Another recent exchange on YouTube:

Before I comment on the above screenshot, I just wanna say that I am not a fan of Joe Biden. I just hate Republicans more. I didn't vote for Joe Biden -- I voted against Donald Trump.

But I'm not a tribal goon like many people are these days and therefore, I'm going to tell the truth. Biden has actually accomplished all of those things. Would I like them to be better? Sure. Would I like Biden to be more to the left, instead of sucking his Big Money donors' cocks? Of course. But it is what it is... and the guy has actually gotten a few important accomplishments under his belt.

What I don't understand is why the Democrats are so weak when it comes to fighting back, and shoving those very real and meaningful accomplishments up the asses of MAGA Republicans. There are a few notable exceptions, of course. For example, Gavin Newsom recently gave a brilliant smackdown to Sean Hannity on Fox TV. Jamal Bowman damned near came to blows with a MAGA jackass outside the Capitol building a few weeks ago. And just a couple of days ago, gorgeous Jasmine Crockett effectively tore Lauren Boebert a new asshole on the House floor.

But they need to do better. MAGA-tards are bullies... and the best way to handle a bully is to break his fucking nose.   >:(

Will Never

Biden also executed a full withdrawal from Afghanistan -- ending the longest war in US history.  Another fact that Trumptards like to ignore.

Tessera

Quote from: Will Never on June 21, 2023, 04:04:49 PM
Biden also executed a full withdrawal from Afghanistan -- ending the longest war in US history.  Another fact that Trumptards like to ignore.

Well, the Republicans in Congress didn't ignore it. They bitched and complained about it, remember? "How dare he end the war so abruptly!"