Main Menu

News:

New members MUST add their correct age and gender to their Forum profiles IMMEDIATELY.

Would you welcome a GOG un-unofficial wesp patch?

Started by Drathian, May 25, 2016, 08:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drathian

My bio: is a part time modder of multiple projects that likes to work on "impossible" or "difficult" projects  including vtmb though i haven't released anything since my filehost went down.

I noticed that the version of vtmb for GOG is altered.

I could write an installer if this would be wanted by anyone in the community that could take the wesp patch back to vanilla for the good old games release?

I have some other ideas, but I'd need to ask tessera first.  I think i read something about gog being unsupported here.

let me know thanks.

Tessera

No no... if anyone is saying that we are "against" GoG or whatever... then no, that is false. On the whole, I like GoG.

But I -am- disappointed that they are selling a bastardized version of VTMB. I feel that doing it that way is simply wrong, because it prevents the end user (and buyer, in this case) from making their own choices... so far as which patches and mods they would prefer to install.

And yes, I would feel exactly the same way about it if it was the True Patch that they had bundled into their offering of VTMB. The only thing that they should be selling is the plain-vanilla version of the game, possibly pre-patched with the official 1.2 patch and NOTHING ELSE.

So yes... I would wholeheartedly endorse your effort to write an app that would utterly, totally and completely remove Wesp's sabotage... errr, I mean unofficial patch... from the GoG release, and revert it back to plain-vanilla. I'm all for it. If there is any way that I can assist you in that endeavor, then please do not hesitate to ask.

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Drathian

ENTER LONG POST:

Sounds good now to the technical aspects, there are a few issues.

While i could fairly easily whip up a undo patch to plain vanilla even before 1.2 patch, there are some considerations.

1)  First the initial release had a cd check and I am not going to support piracy, so I would need to obfuscate the cdcheck thing, or somehow utilize gog nodrm engine, which either is doable.

2)  The next problem is decided what it considered the definitive version of the game, most would agree the cdversion, there are a few pressings of this with minor differences.  Steam's version is an updated version not based on wesps with strangely unused text file changes that increase the size of a few of the files without meaningful usage.    While this would be the latest version of the game on  technical aspect, valve's drm process and copyright law may be problematic for adding those werid changes to.

3)  Locale versions of the game, I am only able to do this in english atm, because i need direct access to the entire game in each to make a differential installer, otherwise i'm piecing together a translation mod instead of a patch.

4)  There are a few additions that wesps patch fixes comptability errors with newer computers, while GoG included some of this in their release, it again goes into what is a mod version what is a patch debate.

For example they offer an updated python library and fix the source engine support for running mods in "-game folder" design which I attempted to faciliate with int9 years ago but they finaly got it working. They also include an updated unoffical sdk, and some graphics enhancements.  I would probably disagree with including graphical enhancements part of it and permission issues on the others.   Then there are memory fixes, and the video fixes they accomplished.   I remember even back when i first go the game years ago, the videos never worked so i was impressed by that.

Vtmb is a good game but a glitchy game.  So an agreement on what is a patch and what is a mod would be preferable as far as this goes.

I agree Wesp's version otherwise has a tendency to be mod more then a patch, he messes with things he doesn't entirely understand and other thing which go beyound glitch fixing into rebalancing territory.  I think some his inclusions were interesting, fixing a few unused animations and censorship issues therein.   But then again thats not vanillla vtmb.

I believe people should have choice on what the want, so a flexiable installer might be the way to go.

Something similar to the way clan quest mod installer works, I've done something like this in the past.   Right during the release a vtmb 2013 xanthars mod, I managed to also merge with choices the most popular mods of the time in their latest version with choices, so i'm not a stranger to doing this.   However I ran into a few stability problems and discontinued it shortly after release and definately after my filehost kicked me off thinking i was sharging some kanye west songs (Oh the absurdity of that accusation, i had over 25 gb of mods for different games taken down instantly (just to name a few now missing stuff from the net tho i have it backed up: console re-enabler for duke nukem foerver, my vtmb mod installers, bfme mods, a relatively unused but at the time essential fix for lotr conquest, )   megaupload folllowed sometime around then too.  I got really frustrated with that, so i've kinda been in limbo since then.  The filehost apologized after notified them of their error,  it was some stupid companies mp3 scanner algorithm messing up the ids that they were accusing,but i lost trust in it.  So that leaves me with the 5th problem

5) hosting,   I did get contacted by patchescrolls back in the day for hosting, but never got back to them after that "mediafire/megaupload" nightmare.  Since i wil probably be using a differential installer it should be a smaller file size to fix this problem, except/until I add choices/features.

Beyond all that Tessera, my other question how important is the distribution level of your patch(I think the answer is no, but just in case for thoroughness)?  Do you want it to be more widely used, and more available/popular, or would you require having final authority on its distribution source and approval ie: Would you prefer it not included in any fix as an option A), the bare minimum to get it working with the -game engine fix (so a user could simply take your archive ande extract into the subfolder of vtmb and run it that way) B), or an option to include it without installer help completely unmodified with or without more restrictions on it C).  While installer are useful, compared to just zips, it falls into an IT style debate as whether compressed archives or executables are used for security and computer safety reasons.

I would love to accomplish the following things to the vtmb scene this time around:

1) Make this patch to vanilla as much as possible this game for gog release (I could make this a archive or an exe setup installer or both probably)
2) update the seperate mod installers to give people more freedom for enhancements, though not game changing/breaking mechanics. i'm talking about an installer to ease usage of texture overrides, or graphical overhauls type things
3) restart and finish my companion mod update (I would love to make it a module style addition that could be added to any mod) (last time i tried to merge dheus mod with cqm,  camarilla, and UP and it was a bit of a mess so i wouldn't wan to try that route again.)

Sorry for all that text, but I just want to make sure everyone is on the same page, so i don't step on anyone tails by accident in this process, so feedback is welcome thank you for hearing me out.

P.S. while i think this site is awesome i've lurked a lot on here (not the forums since back a few redesigns) it is kinda intimidating me so I really don't want to be a problem, let me know if you think i ever step out of line on anything so I can remedy that immediately. thanks.   I would like to be a benefit rather than a problem.  I know how drama can be and just want to stay out of it.  I don't expect to ever be an issue, but i like clarity in procedure, as the net can be stressful with personalities clashing sometimes, so i've seen in the past and would like not to repeat.

Drathian

P. S. S.

If you are curious about my anxiety, let me attempt to explain.

First I'm kinda like a Malkavian in the way I interact with people,  What I intend and what other people understand is not always in sync and that can cause issues especially since my diction can be a little werid.

Secondly I am a bit of a colourful character in personality much like you Tessera, in fact Wesps gang once accused me of being you last i interacted with them 3 years ago, and my observations suggest we don't agree on minor to major issues and our personalities and motivations likely clash.  I'm not here to call you out on any of your interesting reactions to things in the past.  I just don't want to be part of a new one.

So before I go any further with this here, is it possible we could agree to keep our interactions productively focused and on a professional level?  I need to know this so I make sure we are not wasting either of our time.  Thank You.

I probably should just keep focused on projects and I'll be fine on here, and not leak to much of myself here, but I rather get this issue resolved with sooner then a surprise later when my computer will learn to fly (*cough* again) I have a bit of unhinged temper, and take unusual measures not to activate it.

I'm still a bit mad at planet vampire and the prospect of me flourishing unchallenged here doesn't hold great confidence for me in the long run.  Its your website so let me know what you think.  I'm probably overthinking as usual.

BACK ON TOPIC:

Anyrate the reason I surface now is the idea of a DRM free VTMB woke me back up to the idea of modding for this WOD community again, since GOG made such a mess of their release.  I'd like to fix that so mods are easier to install, not to mention people enjoying the authentic game, and then my side projects.

Tessera

All of that sounds fine. If you look around on the board, up in the VTMB topics, you'll see that I was talking about doing something very similar a few weeks ago. So by all means -- have at it, my fellow Malk.  ;D

The copy protection concern is not really an issue. Both my patch and Wesp's contain fixed vampire.exe files, which bypass the original Safedisk copy protection. And it really has nothing to do with piracy... for myself, it was more a matter of allowing the owners of the treasured original 3-CD version of Bloodlines to put their disks away for safekeeping. Every time you load one of those old disks into your machine, you run the risk of damaging it.

Hence the altered EXE that I incorporated into the True Patch. So far as I know, the original 3-CD version of VTMB is no longer being manufactured... which means that those original disks are now collector's items. They should be protected.

Incidentally, even though the disk is no longer required in order to play VTMB with the True Patch, the engine still performs a routine check to see if the Safedisk (secdrv.sys) driver is loaded before it will allow the game to be launched. Starting with Windows 7, the Safedisk driver is NOT enabled in Windows by default... it needs to manually enabled, by editing the system registry. I'm mentioning this because thousands of people have tried to play VTMB on Windows 7 onward... only to find that the game would abort and drop you back to the desktop. And even when you start VTMB with a "fixed" EXE, this still happens in any version of Windows from Vista on upwards.

My point being that regardless of whether or not the EXE has been fixed to a "no-cd" version, the game won't play in Windows 7, 8, 10, etc. unless the system registry has been edited manually.

Something to consider, anyway.

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Drathian

Cool, i've started work on it.  Unless I'm wrong GOG is only offering the english version of vtmb for some reason. My disc version supposedly has other languages, and steam says it supports 3.

Drathian

OK I've studied the differentials for all of the VTMB english versions, and i found some strange things:

Let me try to explain how this is suposed to be read.  DIFFNEW are files that are changed or added, DIFFOLD are files that were replaced.
Retail 1.2 and Steam 1.2 have the following different files which i find really weird:

+---DIFFNEW
|   +---GAMES
|   |   \---SteamLibrary
|   |       \---steamapps
|   |           \---common
|   |               \---Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines
|   |                   |   noseqence.txt
|   |                   |   vampire.exe
|   |                   |  
|   |                   +---Docs
|   |                   |   |   License.txt
|   |                   |   |   MSR.txt
|   |                   |   |  
|   |                   |   \---Help
|   |                   |       +---Compatibility
|   |                   |       |       msr.htm
|   |                   |       |      
|   |                   |       +---License
|   |                   |       |       license.htm
|   |                   |       +---Readme
|   |                   |       |       readme.htm
|   |                   |       |       readme.rtf
|   |                   |       \---Tech Help
|   |                   |           \---Customer Support
|   |                   |               |   Customer_support.htm
|   |                   |               |  
|   |                   |               \---Customer_support_files
|   |                   |                       header.htm
|   |                   |                      
|   |                   \---Vampire
|   |                       |   pack000.vpk
|   |                       |   pack001.vpk
|   |                       |   pack002.vpk
|   |                       |   pack003.vpk
|   |                       |   pack004.vpk
|   |                       |   pack005.vpk
|   |                       |   pack006.vpk
|   |                       |   pack007.vpk
|   |                       |   pack008.vpk
|   |                       |   pack009.vpk
|   |                       |   pack010.vpk
|   |                       |   pack101.vpk
|   |                       |  
|   |                       +---cfg
|   |                       |       dummy.txt
|   |                       +---dlls
|   |                       |       vampire.dll
|   |                       \---maps
|   |                               sp_soc_3.bsp
|   |                              
|   \---Program Files (x86)
|       \---Activision
|           \---vtmb12
|               \---Vampire
|                       pack011.vpk
|                      
\---DIFFOLD
   |   noseqence.txt
   |   vampire.exe
   |  
   +---Docs
   |   |   License.txt
   |   |   MSR.txt
   |   |  
   |   \---Help
   |       +---Compatibility
   |       |       msr.htm
   |       |      
   |       +---License
   |       |       license.htm
   |       |      
   |       +---Readme
   |       |       readme.htm
   |       |       readme.rtf
   |       |      
   |       \---Tech Help
   |           \---Customer Support
   |               |   Customer_support.htm
   |               |  
   |               \---Customer_support_files
   |                       header.htm
   |                      
   \---Vampire
       |   pack000.vpk
       |   pack001.vpk
       |   pack002.vpk
       |   pack003.vpk
       |   pack004.vpk
       |   pack005.vpk
       |   pack006.vpk
       |   pack007.vpk
       |   pack008.vpk
       |   pack009.vpk
       |   pack010.vpk
       |   pack101.vpk
       |  
       +---dlls
       |       vampire.dll
       |      
       \---maps
               sp_soc_3.bsp

There are no release notes to say what has changed, but the filesizes all have changed on those files.   ???

Drathian

As far as GOG goes:

+---DIFFNEW
|   |   dbghelp.dll
|   |   dbghelp.dll.12
|   |   EULA.txt
|   |   GameuxInstallHelper.dll
|   |   gog.ico
|   |   goggame-1207659240.dll
|   |   goggame-1207659240.ico
|   |   goggame-galaxyFileList.ini
|   |   goglog.ini
|   |   Launch VTM Bloodlines.lnk
|   |   loader-readme.txt
|   |   manual.pdf
|   |   Support.ico
|   |   unins000.dat
|   |   unins000.exe
|   |   unins000.msg
|   |   vampire.exe
|   |   vampire.exe.12
|   |   version.inf
|   |   vtmbup-readme.txt
|   |   webcache.zip
|   |   
|   +---Bin
|   |   |   engine.dll
|   |   |   engine.dll.12
|   |   |   shaderapidx9.dll
|   |   |   shaderapidx9.dll.12
|   |   |   
|   |   \---loader
|   |           bugs_fix.ini
|   |           bugs_fix.vtm
|   |           mods_helper.ini
|   |           mods_helper.vtm
|   |           widescreen_fix.ini
|   |           widescreen_fix.vtm
|   |           
|   +---Docs
|   |   |   MSR.txt
|   |   |   
|   |   \---Help
|   |       |   Default.htm
|   |       |   
|   |       +---Compatibility
|   |       |       msr.htm
|   |       |       
|   |       +---Readme
|   |       |       readme.htm
|   |       |       readme.rtf
|   |       |       
|   |       +---Tech Help
|   |       |       Default.htm
|   |       |       
|   |       \---_borders
|   |               left.htm
|   |               
|   +---Vampire
|   |   +---cfg
|   |   |       dummy.txt
|   |   |       
|   |   +---cl_dlls
|   |   |       client.dll
|   |   |       client.dll.12
|   |   |       GameUI.dll
|   |   |       GameUI.dll.12
|   |   |       
|   |   +---dlls
|   |   |       vampire.dll
|   |   |       vampire.dll.12
|   |   |       
|   |   +---maps
|   |   |   \---graphs
|   |   |           ch_cloud_1.ain
|   |   |           ch_dragon_1.ain
|   |   |           ch_fishmarket_1.ain
|   |   |           ch_fulab_1.ain
|   |   |           ch_glaze_1.ain
|   |   |           ch_hub_1.ain
|   |   |           ch_lotus_1.ain
|   |   |           ch_ramen_1.ain
|   |   |           ch_shrekhub.ain
|   |   |           ch_temple_1.ain
|   |   |           ch_temple_2.ain
|   |   |           ch_temple_3.ain
|   |   |           ch_temple_4.ain
|   |   |           ch_tsengs_1.ain
|   |   |           ch_zhaos_1.ain
|   |   |           hw_609_1.ain
|   |   |           hw_ash_sewer_1.ain
|   |   |           hw_asphole_1.ain
|   |   |           hw_cemetery_1.ain
|   |   |           hw_chinese_1.ain
|   |   |           hw_hub_1.ain
|   |   |           hw_jewelry_1.ain
|   |   |           hw_luckystar_1.ain
|   |   |           hw_metalhead_1.ain
|   |   |           hw_netcafe_1.ain
|   |   |           hw_redspot_1.ain
|   |   |           hw_sinbin_1.ain
|   |   |           hw_tawni_1.ain
|   |   |           hw_vesuvius_1.ain
|   |   |           hw_warrens_1.ain
|   |   |           hw_warrens_2.ain
|   |   |           hw_warrens_3.ain
|   |   |           hw_warrens_4.ain
|   |   |           hw_warrens_5.ain
|   |   |           la_abandoned_building_1.ain
|   |   |           la_bradbury_2.ain
|   |   |           la_bradbury_3.ain
|   |   |           la_chantry_1.ain
|   |   |           la_confession_1.ain
|   |   |           la_crackhouse_1.ain
|   |   |           la_dane_1.ain
|   |   |           la_empire_1.ain
|   |   |           la_empire_2.ain
|   |   |           la_empire_3.ain
|   |   |           la_expipe_1.ain
|   |   |           la_hospital_1.ain
|   |   |           la_hub_1.ain
|   |   |           la_malkavian_1.ain
|   |   |           la_malkavian_2.ain
|   |   |           la_malkavian_3.ain
|   |   |           la_malkavian_4.ain
|   |   |           la_malkavian_5.ain
|   |   |           la_museum_1.ain
|   |   |           la_parkinggarage_1.ain
|   |   |           la_plaguebearer_sewer_1.ain
|   |   |           la_skyline_1.ain
|   |   |           la_ventruetower_1.ain
|   |   |           la_ventruetower_1b.ain
|   |   |           la_ventruetower_2.ain
|   |   |           la_ventruetower_3.ain
|   |   |           sm_apartment_1.ain
|   |   |           sm_asylum_1.ain
|   |   |           sm_bailbonds_1.ain
|   |   |           sm_basement_1.ain
|   |   |           sm_beachhouse_1.ain
|   |   |           sm_diner_1.ain
|   |   |           sm_gallery_1.ain
|   |   |           sm_hub_1.ain
|   |   |           sm_hub_2.ain
|   |   |           sm_junkyard_1.ain
|   |   |           sm_medical_1.ain
|   |   |           sm_oceanhouse_1.ain
|   |   |           sm_oceanhouse_2.ain
|   |   |           sm_pawnshop_1.ain
|   |   |           sm_pawnshop_2.ain
|   |   |           sm_pier_1.ain
|   |   |           sm_shreknet_1.ain
|   |   |           sm_tattoo.ain
|   |   |           sm_vamparena.ain
|   |   |           sm_warehouse_1.ain
|   |   |           sp_endsequences_a.ain
|   |   |           sp_endsequences_b.ain
|   |   |           sp_epilogue.ain
|   |   |           sp_genesisdevice_1.ain
|   |   |           sp_giovanni_1.ain
|   |   |           sp_giovanni_2a.ain
|   |   |           sp_giovanni_2b.ain
|   |   |           sp_giovanni_3.ain
|   |   |           sp_giovanni_4.ain
|   |   |           sp_giovanni_5.ain
|   |   |           sp_masquerade_1.ain
|   |   |           sp_ninesintro.ain
|   |   |           sp_observatory_1.ain
|   |   |           sp_observatory_2.ain
|   |   |           sp_soc_1.ain
|   |   |           sp_soc_2.ain
|   |   |           sp_soc_3.ain
|   |   |           sp_soc_4.ain
|   |   |           sp_taxiride.ain
|   |   |           sp_theatre.ain
|   |   |           sp_tutorial_1.ain
|   |   |           
|   |   \---resource
|   |           gameui_english.txt
|   |           optionssubgameplay.res
|   |           optionssubvideo.res
|   |           trackerscheme.res
|   |           
|   \---__redist
|       \---DirectX
|               Apr2005_d3dx9_25_x64.cab
|               Apr2005_d3dx9_25_x86.cab
|               Apr2006_d3dx9_30_x64.cab
|               Apr2006_d3dx9_30_x86.cab
|               Apr2006_MDX1_x86.cab
|               Apr2006_MDX1_x86_Archive.cab
|               Apr2006_XACT_x64.cab
|               Apr2006_XACT_x86.cab
|               Apr2006_xinput_x64.cab
|               Apr2006_xinput_x86.cab
|               APR2007_d3dx10_33_x64.cab
|               APR2007_d3dx10_33_x86.cab
|               APR2007_d3dx9_33_x64.cab
|               APR2007_d3dx9_33_x86.cab
|               APR2007_XACT_x64.cab
|               APR2007_XACT_x86.cab
|               APR2007_xinput_x64.cab
|               APR2007_xinput_x86.cab
|               Aug2005_d3dx9_27_x64.cab
|               Aug2005_d3dx9_27_x86.cab
|               AUG2006_XACT_x64.cab
|               AUG2006_XACT_x86.cab
|               AUG2006_xinput_x64.cab
|               AUG2006_xinput_x86.cab
|               AUG2007_d3dx10_35_x64.cab
|               AUG2007_d3dx10_35_x86.cab
|               AUG2007_d3dx9_35_x64.cab
|               AUG2007_d3dx9_35_x86.cab
|               AUG2007_XACT_x64.cab
|               AUG2007_XACT_x86.cab
|               Aug2008_d3dx10_39_x64.cab
|               Aug2008_d3dx10_39_x86.cab
|               Aug2008_d3dx9_39_x64.cab
|               Aug2008_d3dx9_39_x86.cab
|               Aug2008_XACT_x64.cab
|               Aug2008_XACT_x86.cab
|               Aug2008_XAudio_x64.cab
|               Aug2008_XAudio_x86.cab
|               Aug2009_D3DCompiler_42_x64.cab
|               Aug2009_D3DCompiler_42_x86.cab
|               Aug2009_d3dcsx_42_x64.cab
|               Aug2009_d3dcsx_42_x86.cab
|               Aug2009_d3dx10_42_x64.cab
|               Aug2009_d3dx10_42_x86.cab
|               Aug2009_d3dx11_42_x64.cab
|               Aug2009_d3dx11_42_x86.cab
|               Aug2009_d3dx9_42_x64.cab
|               Aug2009_d3dx9_42_x86.cab
|               Aug2009_XACT_x64.cab
|               Aug2009_XACT_x86.cab
|               Aug2009_XAudio_x64.cab
|               Aug2009_XAudio_x86.cab
|               Dec2005_d3dx9_28_x64.cab
|               Dec2005_d3dx9_28_x86.cab
|               DEC2006_d3dx10_00_x64.cab
|               DEC2006_d3dx10_00_x86.cab
|               DEC2006_d3dx9_32_x64.cab
|               DEC2006_d3dx9_32_x86.cab
|               DEC2006_XACT_x64.cab
|               DEC2006_XACT_x86.cab
|               DSETUP.dll
|               dsetup32.dll
|               dxdllreg_x86.cab
|               DXSETUP.exe
|               dxupdate.cab
|               Feb2005_d3dx9_24_x64.cab
|               Feb2005_d3dx9_24_x86.cab
|               Feb2006_d3dx9_29_x64.cab
|               Feb2006_d3dx9_29_x86.cab
|               Feb2006_XACT_x64.cab
|               Feb2006_XACT_x86.cab
|               FEB2007_XACT_x64.cab
|               FEB2007_XACT_x86.cab
|               Feb2010_X3DAudio_x64.cab
|               Feb2010_X3DAudio_x86.cab
|               Feb2010_XACT_x64.cab
|               Feb2010_XACT_x86.cab
|               Feb2010_XAudio_x64.cab
|               Feb2010_XAudio_x86.cab
|               Jun2005_d3dx9_26_x64.cab
|               Jun2005_d3dx9_26_x86.cab
|               JUN2006_XACT_x64.cab
|               JUN2006_XACT_x86.cab
|               JUN2007_d3dx10_34_x64.cab
|               JUN2007_d3dx10_34_x86.cab
|               JUN2007_d3dx9_34_x64.cab
|               JUN2007_d3dx9_34_x86.cab
|               JUN2007_XACT_x64.cab
|               JUN2007_XACT_x86.cab
|               JUN2008_d3dx10_38_x64.cab
|               JUN2008_d3dx10_38_x86.cab
|               JUN2008_d3dx9_38_x64.cab
|               JUN2008_d3dx9_38_x86.cab
|               JUN2008_X3DAudio_x64.cab
|               JUN2008_X3DAudio_x86.cab
|               JUN2008_XACT_x64.cab
|               JUN2008_XACT_x86.cab
|               JUN2008_XAudio_x64.cab
|               JUN2008_XAudio_x86.cab
|               Jun2010_D3DCompiler_43_x64.cab
|               Jun2010_D3DCompiler_43_x86.cab
|               Jun2010_d3dcsx_43_x64.cab
|               Jun2010_d3dcsx_43_x86.cab
|               Jun2010_d3dx10_43_x64.cab
|               Jun2010_d3dx10_43_x86.cab
|               Jun2010_d3dx11_43_x64.cab
|               Jun2010_d3dx11_43_x86.cab
|               Jun2010_d3dx9_43_x64.cab
|               Jun2010_d3dx9_43_x86.cab
|               Jun2010_XACT_x64.cab
|               Jun2010_XACT_x86.cab
|               Jun2010_XAudio_x64.cab
|               Jun2010_XAudio_x86.cab
|               Mar2008_d3dx10_37_x64.cab
|               Mar2008_d3dx10_37_x86.cab
|               Mar2008_d3dx9_37_x64.cab
|               Mar2008_d3dx9_37_x86.cab
|               Mar2008_X3DAudio_x64.cab
|               Mar2008_X3DAudio_x86.cab
|               Mar2008_XACT_x64.cab
|               Mar2008_XACT_x86.cab
|               Mar2008_XAudio_x64.cab
|               Mar2008_XAudio_x86.cab
|               Mar2009_d3dx10_41_x64.cab
|               Mar2009_d3dx10_41_x86.cab
|               Mar2009_d3dx9_41_x64.cab
|               Mar2009_d3dx9_41_x86.cab
|               Mar2009_X3DAudio_x64.cab
|               Mar2009_X3DAudio_x86.cab
|               Mar2009_XACT_x64.cab
|               Mar2009_XACT_x86.cab
|               Mar2009_XAudio_x64.cab
|               Mar2009_XAudio_x86.cab
|               Nov2007_d3dx10_36_x64.cab
|               Nov2007_d3dx10_36_x86.cab
|               Nov2007_d3dx9_36_x64.cab
|               Nov2007_d3dx9_36_x86.cab
|               NOV2007_X3DAudio_x64.cab
|               NOV2007_X3DAudio_x86.cab
|               NOV2007_XACT_x64.cab
|               NOV2007_XACT_x86.cab
|               Nov2008_d3dx10_40_x64.cab
|               Nov2008_d3dx10_40_x86.cab
|               Nov2008_d3dx9_40_x64.cab
|               Nov2008_d3dx9_40_x86.cab
|               Nov2008_X3DAudio_x64.cab
|               Nov2008_X3DAudio_x86.cab
|               Nov2008_XACT_x64.cab
|               Nov2008_XACT_x86.cab
|               Nov2008_XAudio_x64.cab
|               Nov2008_XAudio_x86.cab
|               Oct2005_xinput_x64.cab
|               Oct2005_xinput_x86.cab
|               OCT2006_d3dx9_31_x64.cab
|               OCT2006_d3dx9_31_x86.cab
|               OCT2006_XACT_x64.cab
|               OCT2006_XACT_x86.cab
|               
\---DIFFOLD
    |   dbghelp.dll
    |   vampire.exe
    |   version.inf
    |   
    +---Bin
    |       engine.dll
    |       shaderapidx9.dll
    |       
    +---Docs
    |   |   MSR.txt
    |   |   
    |   \---Help
    |       |   Default.htm
    |       |   
    |       +---Compatibility
    |       |       msr.htm
    |       |       
    |       +---Readme
    |       |       readme.htm
    |       |       readme.rtf
    |       |       
    |       +---Tech Help
    |       |       Default.htm
    |       |       
    |       \---_borders
    |               left.htm
    |               
    \---Vampire
        +---cl_dlls
        |       client.dll
        |       GameUI.dll
        |       
        \---dlls
                vampire.dll

As well as the entire Unoffical_Patch folder (too long to list)

Drathian

The game mod loader (which fixes widescreen automatically, videos, -game mods)  only uses these files:

|   dbghelp.dll
|   dbghelp.dll.12
|   Game Mod Loader.txt
|   tree.txt
|   
\---Bin
    \---loader
            bugs_fix.ini
            bugs_fix.vtm
            mods.ini
            mods.vtm
            widescreen_fix.ini
            widescreen_fix.vtm

So I find it curious why the graph folder is changed in gog, hypothetically speaking it should just be as easy as deleting the Unoffiical_Patch folder to unwesp it from his notoriously broken scripts and map edits, going to test that in a bit.

Drathian

Disappointed that deleting the Unofficial_Patch folder breaks the game if using it from GOGGalaxy, their beta download client center thing, so the only option is to run it from the vampire.exe which launches without the -game switch.

However there is an official work around that they hid, its the only way to launch it standard from the galaxy client:

(for those that can't see the picture easy, go to the option to the right of the green button play, which is:

MORE > Other > VTM Bloodlines (Legacy)

Tessera

There's no point in pursuing this if it will end up making the installation of the game MORE complicated than it already is. A lot of people will shun such a utility, if it seems too complicated and/or intimidating to use. They'll be too afraid of it breaking their game... and we certainly don't want that.

The ideal way of doing this would be to offer everyone a one-click solution. Install the GoG game, then launch a simple, stand-alone utility which will find all of Wesp's files, delete them, and then replace them with the original vanilla versions.

It seems to me that such a thing could be accomplished by setting up an itemized script, as well as including an archive of the vanilla files needed to restore the game to its intended state.

Of course, this means that you would need to know the exact names and locations of every single file that Wesp has sabotaged (he would say "repaired"), so that the script could hunt those files down and eliminate them, prior to re-patching the game with the original vanilla versions of the same files.

A big job. Wesp has insinuated his garbage into every nook and cranny of VTMB. Eliminating all of that damage is going to be a bit of a headache.... but it should be quite do-able.

As an aside.... I should also mention that there is a shorter, "cutthroat" method which would accomplish the same thing. But it would also make the final size of the utility rather enormous. Basically, the utility could simply wipe out nearly everything in the VTMB\Vampire folder, and then follow up by installing a full set of the original, pristine plain-vanilla VPK files. Doing it that way would be fool-proof, but it would also result in a total package size of somewhere around 2 gigabytes.

Blankspace

Quote from: Tessera on May 27, 2016, 12:26:29 AM
There's no point in pursuing this if it will end up making the installation of the game MORE complicated than it already is. A lot of people will shun such a utility, if it seems too complicated and/or intimidating to use. They'll be too afraid of it breaking their game... and we certainly don't want that.

The ideal way of doing this would be to offer everyone a one-click solution. Install the GoG game, then launch a simple, stand-alone utility which will find all of Wesp's files, delete them, and then replace them with the original vanilla versions.

It seems to me that such a thing could be accomplished by setting up an itemized script, as well as including an archive of the vanilla files needed to restore the game to its intended state.

Of course, this means that you would need to know the exact names and locations of every single file that Wesp has sabotaged (he would say "repaired"), so that the script could hunt those files down and eliminate them, prior to re-patching the game with the original vanilla versions of the same files.

A big job. Wesp has insinuated his garbage into every nook and cranny of VTMB. Eliminating all of that damage is going to be a bit of a headache.... but it should be quite do-able.

As an aside.... I should also mention that there is a shorter, "cutthroat" method which would accomplish the same thing. But it would also make the final size of the utility rather enormous. Basically, the utility could simply wipe out nearly everything in the VTMB\Vampire folder, and then follow up by installing a full set of the original, pristine plain-vanilla VPK files. Doing it that way would be fool-proof, but it would also result in a total package size of somewhere around 2 gigabytes.

That at point you might as well just get the CD version or a pirate copy, because it sounds like you are basically replacing it with another copy of the game.
That's what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence.

Tessera

Normally, I would agree... but the problem with most pirated copies of VTMB is that they, too, have been pre-patched with Wesp's nonsense.

The original 3-CD version of the game can sometimes be found for sale on E-bay, but people have been snatching up those copies over the past few years. Still, you might find one for sale that's in fairly good condition.

So far as downloadable versions of VTMB are concerned, the best option that I know of is to download the game from Steam, and then move the entire game away from Steam and into its own unique folder on your hard drive.

And then, patch it with your third-party patch of choice. If you want to play the actual, original, unspoiled Troika game, then patch it with the True Patch Gold Edition. If you would rather play a dumbed-down, ez-mode, adolescent-oriented version of VTMB, then install one of Wesp5's travesties. But either way, I would NEVER purchase a "pre-patched" version of Bloodlines (or any other game). 

Drathian

I'm going to have to compare (& dump) the steam vpk files, I don't understand why they are different from the cd game version with 1.2 applied, its puzzling.  What did they change, at worst maybe some sort of old wesp half patch incarnation, at best some unlisted development branch..... either way eeks, what a mess with these versions?  ???

Tessera

I doubt that they messed with the original VPK's. The engine will give preference to loose files over VPK's, so there's no need to alter the VPK's at all.

If you wanted to patch and/or modify VTMB, then all you would need to do is add a bunch of loose files within a correct directory structure, and then the engine will preferentially load those files. Every patch and mod that I have seen for VTMB works that way... by adding loose files to the game, not by altering the original VPK's.

One thing that you could do is check the GoG version, and then carefully look at the VPK's. They are (or should be) located within the \Vampire folder.

In the original, plain-vanilla version of VTMB, there are exactly 16 VPK archives, located within the (Root)\Vampire folder.

Those original VPK files are named:

pack000.vpk
pack001.vpk
pack002.vpk
pack003.vpk
pack004.vpk
pack005.vpk
pack006.vpk
pack007.vpk
pack008.vpk
pack009.vpk
pack010.vpk
pack011.vpk
pack100.vpk
pack101.vpk
pack102.vpk
pack103.vpk

If the GoG version of Bloodlines matches what I have posted here, then it's likely (but not certain) that the VPK's in the GoG release are in fact the original vanilla versions. I couldn't be 100% certain about that until after I took a close look at a copy of the GoG release... which unfortunately I do not have, nor do I intend to buy it.

But they may indeed be the original VPK's. In which case, removing Wesp's garbage will be a piece of cake. I won't go into a lengthy description right now, but it would essentially involve deleting everything within the \Vampire folder EXCEPT the VPK's, and then restoring the \bin and \script and \vdata folders with the original plain-vanilla versions, all three of which are quite small in size (the bulk of the game data is in the VPK's themselves).

There's a bit more to it... but that's the gist. The entire operation could be made quite painless and quick... it should only take about 2 minutes to remove Wesp's garbage that way. Again... this all hinges upon whether or not the GoG release contains the pristine, original VPK's. If it does, then this project will be easy to accomplish.

BOTTOM LINE: We need to verify whether or not the GoG release contains the original, un-fucked-with VPK archives.

Drathian

Yeah I did a binary compare of the files I guess it is hard to read, only the graph folder (ain files) and the engine files were altered on the GOG version, the rest are additions, the easiest way to UNWESP it with this in mind is just to delete the entire Unoffical_Patch subfolder completely and run it only from the vampire.exe or that legacy thing i showed.

Steam on the other hand is confusingly werid, because the binary compare shows different sizes and changes in the vpks, I"m going to dump them in a bit a report back what changed from original 1.2.

Drathian

I'm guessing I was right about steam, it is a development branch different from 1.2.  First thing I noticed of the different sized vpks, pack010 wouldn't open on the steam version for extract. however there are no missing files on the final extract, this leads me to one conclusion, steam repacked the vpks and here are the files that binary compare came out diferent:

|   hl2.tmp
|   localized_list.txt
|   tree.txt
|   vidcfg.bin
|  
+---maps
|   \---graphs
|           ch_temple_1.loc
|           ch_temple_2.ain
|           hw_redspot_1.loc
|           hw_warrens_3.loc
|           hw_warrens_4.ain
|           la_chantry_1.loc
|           la_empire_1.loc
|           la_hospital_1.loc
|           sp_endsequences_a.loc
|           sp_endsequences_b.loc
|           sp_soc_3.loc
|           sp_theatre.loc
|          
+---models
|   \---cinematic
|       \---santa_monica
|           \---courtroom
|                   cin_sheriff_sword.dx7_2bone.vtx
|                   cin_sheriff_sword.dx80.vtx
|                   cin_sheriff_sword.mdl
|                   courtroom_bip1.dx7_2bone.vtx
|                   courtroom_bip1.dx80.vtx
|                   courtroom_bip1.mdl
|                   courtroom_bip1_female.dx7_2bone.vtx
|                   courtroom_bip1_female.dx80.vtx
|                   courtroom_bip1_female.mdl
|                  
\---python
   |   levelscript.pyc
   |   vamputil.pyc
   |  
   +---bradbury
   |       bradbury.pyc
   |      
   +---cemetery
   |       cemetery.pyc
   |      
   +---chinatown
   |       chinatown.pyc
   |      
   +---crackhouse
   |       crackhouse.pyc
   |      
   +---downtown
   |       downtown.pyc
   |      
   +---fusyndicate
   |       fusyndicate.pyc
   |      
   +---gallery
   |       gallery.pyc
   |      
   +---giovanni
   |       giovanni.pyc
   |      
   +---griffith
   |       griffith.pyc
   |      
   +---hollywood
   |       hollywood.pyc
   |      
   +---leopold
   |       leopold.pyc
   |      
   +---lib
   |       random.pyc
   |       string.pyc
   |      
   +---malkavian
   |       malkavian.pyc
   |      
   +---museum
   |       museum.pyc
   |      
   +---santamonica
   |       santamonica.pyc
   |      
   +---temple
   |       temple.pyc
   |      
   +---theatre
   |       theatre.pyc
   |      
   +---tutorial
   |       tutorial.pyc
   |      
   +---ventrue
   |       ventrue.pyc
   |      
   +---warehouse
   |       warehouse.pyc
   |      
   \---warrens
           warrens.pyc

these were the ones that steam replaced:

|   hl2.tmp
|   localized_list.txt
|   tree.txt
|   vidcfg.bin
|  
+---maps
|   \---graphs
|           ch_temple_1.loc
|           ch_temple_2.ain
|           hw_redspot_1.loc
|           hw_warrens_3.loc
|           hw_warrens_4.ain
|           la_chantry_1.loc
|           la_empire_1.loc
|           la_hospital_1.loc
|           sp_endsequences_a.loc
|           sp_endsequences_b.loc
|           sp_soc_3.loc
|           sp_theatre.loc
|          
+---models
|   \---cinematic
|       \---santa_monica
|           \---courtroom
|                   cin_sheriff_sword.dx7_2bone.vtx
|                   cin_sheriff_sword.dx80.vtx
|                   cin_sheriff_sword.mdl
|                   courtroom_bip1.dx7_2bone.vtx
|                   courtroom_bip1.dx80.vtx
|                   courtroom_bip1.mdl
|                   courtroom_bip1_female.dx7_2bone.vtx
|                   courtroom_bip1_female.dx80.vtx
|                   courtroom_bip1_female.mdl
|                  
\---python
   |   levelscript.pyc
   |   vamputil.pyc
   |  
   +---bradbury
   |       bradbury.pyc
   |      
   +---cemetery
   |       cemetery.pyc
   |      
   +---chinatown
   |       chinatown.pyc
   |      
   +---crackhouse
   |       crackhouse.pyc
   |      
   +---downtown
   |       downtown.pyc
   |      
   +---fusyndicate
   |       fusyndicate.pyc
   |      
   +---gallery
   |       gallery.pyc
   |      
   +---giovanni
   |       giovanni.pyc
   |      
   +---griffith
   |       griffith.pyc
   |      
   +---hollywood
   |       hollywood.pyc
   |      
   +---leopold
   |       leopold.pyc
   |      
   +---lib
   |       random.pyc
   |       string.pyc
   |      
   +---malkavian
   |       malkavian.pyc
   |      
   +---museum
   |       museum.pyc
   |      
   +---santamonica
   |       santamonica.pyc
   |      
   +---temple
   |       temple.pyc
   |      
   +---theatre
   |       theatre.pyc
   |      
   +---tutorial
   |       tutorial.pyc
   |      
   +---ventrue
   |       ventrue.pyc
   |      
   +---warehouse
   |       warehouse.pyc
   |      
   \---warrens
           warrens.pyc

It seems to me that steam somehow changed the internal python compiled scripts without changing the python scripts included whatsoever mighty weird. And the graph folder with *.ain *.loc files.  The loose files  sequence.txt, and maps/sp_soc_3.bsp were also changed. The coutroom files were changed "maybe to comply with censorship laws in Europe?"

Based on studying these changes, gog appears to be closer in exact files to the cd version then steam.  GOG is only diferent in the /graph/*.ain files and the engine, with the modloader and the addition of the Unofifical_Patch folder.  Who would have thought....?

So I guess if you want to unwesp it, there would need to be a program that replaces the original loose graph/*.ain files delete the entire Unoffical_Patch folder, and if necessary remove the modloader files.

Another thing I noticed is that steam includes the locale of English, French, and German, which downloads the changes on demand about 6MB going to study that next.  I believe in the cdrom version there was an unused locales cab file called LocPacks.cab but I could never get it to do anything but english,  and the weirdness continues....

Tessera

Quote from: Drathian on May 28, 2016, 03:22:16 PMFirst thing I noticed of the different sized vpks, pack010 wouldn't open on the steam version for extract.

Pack 10 should consist entirely of sound files.