Main Menu

News:

New members MUST add their correct age and gender to their Forum profiles IMMEDIATELY.

How to Yell at the FCC About How Much You Hate Its Net Neutrality Rules

Started by Cat, May 17, 2014, 05:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cat

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-yell-at-the-fcc-about-how-much-you-hate-its-net-1576943170?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

QuoteIn spectacularly bureaucratic fashion, the FCC just voted to start the formal consideration of its horrible net neutrality rules. That means the floor is now open for public comment, and the future of the internet is at stake. In fact, it's up to you. "But how do I comment?" you ask, "How do I politely but firmly express my rage as a member of the public?" Let us show you the way.

Though you guys might want to get into this.

Cylnar

Submitted.

This is a public document that requires submitting personally identifiable information (your name and address) so I recommend against issuing death threats. No matter how much you may want to. ;)
Stupidity is self-perpetuating and self-propagating. Genius must constantly be exercised to flourish.
Religion is the wool that's been pulled over our eyes to turn us into sheep.
"Behind every great fortune is a great crime." -- Honoré de Balzac
Wise up...rise up!

Tessera

Quote from: Cylnar on May 17, 2014, 06:18:01 AMI recommend against issuing death threats.

Shit... I wish you had told me that earlier...

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Seriously though, the real answer to this situation is a simple one: the FCC needs to declare, officially, that internet service is a public utility. Just as telephone service and electricity are classified as vital public utilities. Doing so will effectively block any attempts to privatize the internet.

Congress is, as usual, behind the times in their thinking. The internet is not a "luxury" any more. It's not even an optional service in our lives, when you really think about it. We're living in an age wherein the internet is playing an ever-increasing role in how we communicate with each other, how we do business, how we shop for goods and services, how we do our banking, how we keep track of our credit cards, how we watch movies and TV shows, how we play games during our leisure time... etc., etc., etc. The internet has infused itself, in one way or another, into just about everything that we do these days.

That's not a description of an optional, luxury service. We're talking about a vital and necessary means of commerce and information exchange. That's the description of a public utility, which is precisely what the internet has become at this point.

It is illegal for any one company to monopolize a vital public utility. This is why the U.S. government forcibly "busted up" Bell Telephone, back in the 1970's. I'm mentioning this because Verizon happens to be one of the corporations that seeks to privatize and dominate the internet, for profit. But ironically, the sole reason that Verizon exists in the first place is because of the forced breakup of Bell Telephone 40 years ago. Were it not for that major trust-buster, Verizon would not even exist. Yes, I'm driving it into the ground here, but I don't care... I'm gonna say it again: Verizon owes their very existence to the fact that telephone service was declared to be a public utility.... hence the breakup of Ma Bell that allowed companies like Verizon to be competitive in the first place. How soon they forget, eh..?

So that's what we need to do again, here in the 21st century: everyone needs to pressure Congress into declaring that the internet is a public utility. Once they do, then we'll stop hearing any more of this greedy "we wanna control it all" horseshit from the big telecom companies. Because once the internet is legally reclassified as a vital public utility, no single entity will be allowed to own it... period.

There's your answer. Plain and simple.

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Cat

True Tess.

The internet is how a lot of us do our banking or paying bills anymore not to mention it the only decent news source anymore.

master388

I have no strong feelings toward neutrality rules. Also, what is it with you Americans, and your government trying to control the internet?

Tessera

Quote from: master388 on June 21, 2014, 07:15:24 PM
I have no strong feelings toward neutrality rules.

Then you're an ignorant fool.

Quote from: master388 on June 21, 2014, 07:15:24 PMAlso, what is it with you Americans, and your government trying to control the internet?

It isn't our government that wants to control the internet... it's big, fat, bloated, wealthy and greedy telecom corporations (Verizon, Comcast, Optimum, Time-Warner, etc.). And for the past few years, they've been greasing the palms of the traitorous pricks who run the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Tom Wheeler would be one of those traitorous pricks-for-rent. He's the guy who is currently the head honcho of the FCC. He's also a gutless weasel.

Today, President Barack Obama finally stepped up to the plate and issued a formal statement regarding net neutrality and where he personally stands on this issue:

"Ever since the internet was created, it's been organized around the basic principles of openness, fairness, and freedom. There are no gatekeepers deciding which sites you get to access. There are no toll roads on the information super highway. This set of principles, the idea of net neutrality, has unleashed the power of the internet and given innovators the chance to thrive. Abandoning these principles would threaten to end the internet as we know it.

"That's why I'm laying out a plan to keep the internet free and open. That's why I'm urging the Federal Communications Commission to do everything they can to protect net neutrality for everyone. They should make it clear that whether you use a computer, phone, or tablet, internet providers have a legal obligation not to limit or block your access to a website. Cable companies can't decide which online stores you shop at, or which streaming services you can use. And they can't let any company pay for priority over its competitors.

"To put these protections in place, I'm asking the FCC to reclassify internet service under Title II of the law known as the Telecommunications Act. In plain English, I'm asking them to recognize that for most Americans, the internet has become an essential part of everyday communication and everyday life.

"The FCC is an independent agency, and ultimately the decision is theirs alone. But the public has already commented nearly four million times, asking the FCC to make sure that consumers, not the cable companies, get to decide which sites they use. Americans are making their voices heard, standing up for the principles that make the internet a powerful force for change. As long as I'm president, that's what I'll be fighting for, too."

~ Pres. Barack Obama on Monday November 10, 2014

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

woz

But what took President Barack Obama so long to step up to the plate and issued a formal statement regarding net neutrality and where he personally stands on this issue? ::)

Tessera

Cylnar

Quote from: woz on November 11, 2014, 05:35:35 PM
But what took President Barack Obama so long to step up to the plate and issued a formal statement regarding net neutrality and where he personally stands on this issue? ::)

Quote from: Tessera on November 12, 2014, 12:05:19 AM
That's a good question.

He had to wait for permission from his bosses at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. That's my take.

The FCC and their other employee Tom Wheeler will give them what they want, so Obama was free to court his disgruntled base with a useless gesture. As he says,

Quote from: Tessera on November 10, 2014, 06:30:27 PM
"The FCC is an independent agency, and ultimately the decision is theirs alone.
~ Pres. Barack Obama on Monday November 10, 2014

Just watch. The two (or more) -tiered internet will happen. As will Keystone XL, Fast Track, the TPP and TAFTA. Especially with the turnover in the Senate. >:(
Stupidity is self-perpetuating and self-propagating. Genius must constantly be exercised to flourish.
Religion is the wool that's been pulled over our eyes to turn us into sheep.
"Behind every great fortune is a great crime." -- Honoré de Balzac
Wise up...rise up!

ChaosArcher

All these net neutrality talks are just that talks. Who knows what will happen.
But it is good that Obama has shared his view on the subject. Whether or not this is just a political move, we shall see.

Oh, what sad times we live in.

-ChaosArcher