Author Topic: Removed from catalog: Fallout 1, 2, & Tactics (Good old games)  (Read 5480 times)

Cat

Removed from catalog: Fallout 1, 2, & Tactics (Good old games)
« on: January 07, 2014, 07:10:37 AM »
http://www.gog.com/news/removed_from_catalog_fallout_1_2_tactics

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we needed to pull the three classic Fallout games, that is Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics, from sale and remove them from our DRM-free catalog. These classic titles have been with us since day one, that is for over 5 years now, and they were always one of the highlights of the selection of games that we offer. There are very few titles in the history of computer role-playing games, that have had so much impact on the gaming landscape, players' expectations, and even the popular culture. The iconic setting, the memorable quotes, and unparalleled amount of fun and challenge these games provide--it's all burned in the memory of a whole generation of gamers. Probably even more than just one generation. It was an honor to have you here, Fallout. Take good care of yourself out there, try not to mistake a gecko for G.E.C.K. (not even remotely the same thing!), and remember to take your Rad-X pills!

GOG losing games?. This is not good at all.

But this could explain why they were free to download a while ago.

Cylnar

• Global Moderator
  • Leviathan

• Enemy of the corporate state.

Male
  • Personal Text
    The longer we wait, the worse it gets.
Re: Removed from catalog: Fallout 1, 2, & Tactics (Good old games)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 07:55:44 AM »
There's some sort of copyright wrangle going on, I guess. Something to do with rights to Fallout reverting to Bethsoft from whoever had them before or some shit. :P
Stupidity is self-perpetuating and self-propagating. Genius must constantly be exercised to flourish.
Religion is the wool that's been pulled over our eyes to turn us into sheep.
"Behind every great fortune is a great crime." -- Honoré de Balzac
Wise up...rise up!

beetle

• Leviathan

Male
  • Personal Text
    El Diablo Pollo
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 09:13:20 PM »
Interplay used to own Fallout. So it's probably Bethesda smacking Interplay around again over those three games, yet again. It's not the first time Bethesda has thrown a fit over Interplay selling those three titles.
Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got. Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

ChaosArcher

• Berserker

Male
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 09:06:43 PM »
Kind of late, but whatever...

Note that the games will remain in our library despite the removal.

-ChaosArcher

kevx74

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 05:40:01 PM »
I downloaded them again when they were offered for free. Was disappointed I couldn't get Fo2 up and running properly on my machine, they added a mod to the installation and although I know I had it installed and working flawlessly on another win 7 machine I just didn't want to take the time to get it working right. The only thing I'm hoping from this is maybe they will release some enhanced editions of these like Badur's Gate did.

Cat

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
They been put back on GOG.

Tessera

• Administrator
  • Leviathan

• Texture Artist

Male
  • Personal Text
    Sexaholic Sleazemuffin
    • tessmage.com - for mature gamers
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 06:05:26 PM »
For what it's worth...

The best way to run older games is to run them in a virtual machine, using the OS that the games were originally intended for.

For example: install VirtualBox, set up a Windows '98 or Windows 2000 virtual machine, and then install and run your older games from there.

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Drathian

Male
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 05:19:05 PM »
Sorry about the necropost, but GoG now has all fallout classics available again as of a few months ago, but got rid of id software title now, ???