Author Topic: True Patch Gold Edition -- DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK  (Read 248780 times)

Þolvere

Re: True Patch Gold Edition -- DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK (NEW!)
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2013, 06:02:27 AM »
I remember there were 2 versions of the True VTMB Patch: a lite one and a big one adding also fanmade content. I take you're now able to manually choose which content to add now. Thanks for re-uploading anyways, I'm reinstalling Bloodlines asap  :D

Tessera

• Administrator
  • Leviathan

• Texture Artist

Male
  • Personal Text
    Sexaholic Sleazemuffin
    • tessmage.com - for mature gamers
Re: True Patch Gold Edition -- DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK (NEW!)
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2013, 06:18:47 AM »
I remember there were 2 versions of the True VTMB Patch: a lite one and a big one adding also fan made content.

That is incorrect. You are confusing the True Patch with those horrible "unofficial patches" produced by Werner "Wesp5" Spahl.

There has always been one... and JUST ONE... version of each edition of the True Patch. Accept no substitutes. 8)

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Alamei

Re: True Patch Gold Edition -- DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2013, 08:49:37 AM »
After downloading the True Patch, I noticed that a large portion of the portion of the compressed archive size (200MB) is a result of including the installers for every language of Adobe Reader that came with the original Bloodlines manual. Since you're hosting the patch locally (meaning you're paying for the bandwidth yourself), have you considered re-compiling the True Patch to just include the manual itself, and not all the Adobe installers? Almost everyone has a PDF reader installed on their computer at this point, and even if they don't, it shouldn't be your responsibility to provider one to them. Removing the Adobe installers cuts the size of the archive nearly in half (450MB -> 250MB), which would be nice for both the patch users and your bandwidth bill.

If you've already talked about why you include them in some other thread, and I just missed the discussion scanning through the forums, I apologize for bringing up an old issue.

Cheers,
Alamei

Tessera

• Administrator
  • Leviathan

• Texture Artist

Male
  • Personal Text
    Sexaholic Sleazemuffin
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2013, 05:49:22 PM »
I included the Adobe Reader as a courtesy, because the original VTMB User's Manual (also included as a courtesy) is in Adobe PDF format. I was just trying to make it easier for everyone.

You are incorrect about the file sizes, however.

Here is the actual breakdown of the entire True Patch Gold Edition package:

Size of "Docs" folder (includes Adobe Reader and original VTMB User Manual): 201 megabytes (uncompressed size).
Size of "Extras" folder (contains a few optional mods, as well as some helpful utilities): 96 megabytes (uncompressed size).
Size of the True Patch Main folder (the actual patch itself): 512 megabytes (uncompressed size).

As you can see, the actual patch itself is quite large. More than a half-gigabyte of nothing but bug fixes. And it is nearly twice the size of all of the other TPG extras combined.

There's a bunch of smack talk over on PlanetVampire... as most of us already are aware. One of the things that Wesp likes to claim is that our patch is actually not much bigger than his, because our patch is loaded with Adobe installers and "a bunch of mods." Well, as I have just explained, that is simply nonsense. The actual True Patch itself, which comprises the vast majority of the True Patch Gold Edition package, is over 500 magebytes in size. To date, it contains the largest collection of legitimate bug fixes available for Bloodlines. That is a fact.

Wesp has further tried to claim that I used inadequate compression when I packed up the TPG, hence its much larger (than Wesp's "patch") file size. This too is incorrect. The TPG was packed using WinRAR, at its maximum compression level, and using file verification during the compression process. Is it possible to compress the TPG even further..? Yes, but not by much. It is already squished down about as far as it can be squished. Once again, Wesp is simply suffering from denial. Our patch is large because it is COMPREHENSIVE... much more so than any other third-party patch for Bloodlines.

And it does all of that without making any arbitrary and unnecessary changes to the game play.

So just ignore the crappola coming from "the other side." We have the numbers to back us up. They do not. Case closed, so far as I am concerned.  8)

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Alamei

« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2013, 06:22:46 PM »
Making the manual easily readable certainly makes sense. Have you considered including a lightweight multilingual PDF solution like SumatraPDF instead? It would only take up about 5MB, and would still allow people to install a PDF reader to view the manual if they don't already have one on their system.

With regards to the files, the sizes I listed were all post-compression. When I tested removing the installers and re-compressing the folder with WinRAR max compression, I ended up with a 251 MB archive (the executables obviously don't compress well). In any case, if the extra bandwidth usage doesn't bother you, it's obviously not a real issue. :D

I'm afraid I don't quite follow the second half of your post. I only just got into Bloodlines recently, and the extent of the reading I did was to figure out that TPG was a patch and UP was a mod. I didn't look any further than that, and I seem to have missed some historical discussions that would be required contextual reading to fully grasp your post.  :-\

Tessera

• Administrator
  • Leviathan

• Texture Artist

Male
  • Personal Text
    Sexaholic Sleazemuffin
« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2013, 07:45:19 PM »
Well, as I said...

The True Patch Gold Edition was compressed using the full, registered, 64-bit WinRAR (ver. 4.20) file compression utility. It was compressed into RAR format, using maximum compression. File verification (to ensure the integrity of the archive) was employed during the compression process. Final compressed size: approximately 462.4 megabytes. Two-thirds of that archive consists of the actual True Patch itself, which contains literally thousands of legitimate bug fixes for Bloodlines. To the best of my knowledge, there is not a more comprehensive bug-fix patch available for Bloodlines anywhere on the web. And yes, that obviously includes "that other patch."

So that's it... that's as small as it gets, using WinRAR. And I chose WinRAR because it is more universally accessible. I didn't want the end users to have to jump through hoops, looking for some esoteric file compression utility (such as GZip or whatever). WinRAR is very well-known and is readily accessible to everyone. For free, no less.

I do appreciate your suggestions, however. And I am sure that you will enjoy using our patch.

sensitivesoul

« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2013, 07:58:31 PM »
Hello,

On your first post of this thread, you've said it includes hotfix6, but you've also said "Simply install a fresh copy of Bloodlines first, and then apply this version of the True Patch Gold Edition w/Hotfix #6, and you will be all set.". So does this mean that hotfix #6 is included with the download, or does it mean to install hotfix #6 first? I just want to make sure because the above sentence can be read two ways especially as you have typed above it "DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK FOR TRUE PATCH GOLD EDITION, including HOTFIX #7:". It's just a little confusing  :) .

Also, you say this download is 462.4 megabytes but my download from the 'downloads' tab at the very top of the page is only 451. Is there any difference between these two downloads?

I really appreciate your help, take care.

Tessera

• Administrator
  • Leviathan

• Texture Artist

Male
  • Personal Text
    Sexaholic Sleazemuffin
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2013, 08:02:06 PM »
There is no need for you to be confused. Simply take the first post in this thread at face value.

The current version of the TPG is "Hotfix #7" and it is the only version available for downloading.

So simply download the patch, and then follow the installation instructions. Simple as that.

sensitivesoul

« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2013, 08:14:36 PM »
There is no need for you to be confused. Simply take the first post in this thread at face value.

The current version of the TPG is "Hotfix #7" and it is the only version available for downloading.

So simply download the patch, and then follow the installation instructions. Simple as that.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply, but could you just tell me why the download I've got is smaller (451mb) than the 462mb that you've mentioned? I just wanted to make sure because I'm about to install the patch now.

Tessera

• Administrator
  • Leviathan

• Texture Artist

Male
  • Personal Text
    Sexaholic Sleazemuffin
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2013, 10:15:36 PM »
...could you just tell me why the download I've got is smaller (451mb) than the 462mb that you've mentioned?

Look at the screenshot below, for your answer...

For some goofy reason that I have never fully understood, Windows reports the size of a file in two different ways at the same time. You can see it doing so, in that screenshot.

The actual, correct size of the compressed TPG file is as I have said: about 462 megabytes. But Windows also reports the size of a file as a rounded-off hexadecimal figure... or some such crappola.

The exact size of the TPG archive is in fact 462, 430 kilobytes... or slightly more than 462 megabytes.

Anyway... not to worry. The version of the TPG available from this site is absolutely correct. And it has been tested backwards and forwards, to ensure its integrity. That's a promise.  8)

Alamei

« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2013, 07:44:46 AM »
Windows uses a non-decimal counting system, based on powers of 2, to measure file sizes. Some programmers prefer this measurement system, since all computing is rooted in binary mathematics, but it can be confusing to end-users. As far as Windows is concerned, a kilobyte is 1024 (2^10) bytes, not 1000 (10^3). A megabyte is similarly measured as 1024 kilobytes. As such, both numbers you're seeing are correct (462430 / 1024 = ~451), they're just not being measured in a decimal number system.

Most Linux distros and more recent versions of Mac OSX measure file sizes in decimal (1000 KB per MB), so files may appear to have different sizes when they move from one operating system to another. If you want to be sure about a file's size, it's best to always just look at the file properties (in Windows Explorer, right-click and select Properties) to get the file size in plain bytes, which will be reported the same regardless of operating system or application.

Tessera

• Administrator
  • Leviathan

• Texture Artist

Male
  • Personal Text
    Sexaholic Sleazemuffin
« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2013, 09:48:24 AM »
If you want to be sure about a file's size, it's best to always just look at the file properties (in Windows Explorer, right-click and select Properties) to get the file size in plain bytes, which will be reported the same regardless of operating system or application.

473,530,368 bytes

sensitivesoul

« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2013, 04:13:08 PM »
...could you just tell me why the download I've got is smaller (451mb) than the 462mb that you've mentioned?

Look at the screenshot below, for your answer...

For some goofy reason that I have never fully understood, Windows reports the size of a file in two different ways at the same time. You can see it doing so, in that screenshot.

The actual, correct size of the compressed TPG file is as I have said: about 462 megabytes. But Windows also reports the size of a file as a rounded-off hexadecimal figure... or some such crappola.

The exact size of the TPG archive is in fact 462, 430 kilobytes... or slightly more than 462 megabytes.

Anyway... not to worry. The version of the TPG available from this site is absolutely correct. And it has been tested backwards and forwards, to ensure its integrity. That's a promise.  8)

Hello,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I just didn't know whether my download had messed up or something else had happened.  ;)

nerkub

« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2013, 09:41:23 AM »
Big THX for this patch!

caninelegion

• Berserker

Male
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2013, 10:36:07 AM »
OK, I hope I'm not going to be too much of a pain - I really am easily confused with any PC tech issue.  Anyway, I installed VTMB for the first time on this computer.  Then followed the directions for the latest TP.  I first tried copying "main" into the root folder but didn't get the overwrite messages.  So, I deleted it from the root file then copied each subfolder individually into the root folder.  Got the messages and checked overwrite the next "n" conflicts (I have Win7).  So, I was confident all was fine.  I then backed the vampire folder up and proceeded to apply the mega mod.  Copied and pasted the mod's vampire folder into the root folder and got the messages.  So, I opened the game using the shortcut the initial installation made and -  well, I quit before the initial video completed.  The Gangrel female appeared unchanged at all and the real kicker, when people left the auditorium, there were no vampires exiting.  I'm thinking that possibly, I just didn't wait long enough as I never got to the initial Jack helping me part.  Or, maybe using the initial shortcut was a problem.  or, I just can't follow simple directions and screwed up the process.  Anyway, before I start trying things and making a mess, I thought I should ask here and see if I did some really basic mistake.  So, I say, "Help!". 

Oh, yes, another issue.  I now have a widescreen so everybody has a stretched face.  In other older games I went into my software and set it to 5:4 (I believe) leaving the rest of the screen black (ie, I negated the wide screen basically).  Is that advisable or is the megamod designed for a wide screen? 
These biting remarks brought to you by Legio K-IX, King Icy I Commanding

Tessera

• Administrator
  • Leviathan

• Texture Artist

Male
  • Personal Text
    Sexaholic Sleazemuffin
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2013, 11:21:30 AM »
Well obviously, yours is a case of user error. Let's start there.

Is this in reference to the original, 3-CD version of Bloodlines..? Or is it the Steam downloaded version..?

If it is the 3-CD version, then you must have copied the patch (and mod) files to the wrong place.

If it is the Steam version, then you have neglected to follow the instructions (found on this board) for moving Bloodlines
away from Steam and setting it up in a new location on your hard drive. Everyone who plays the Steam version of VTMB
absolutely must follow that procedure. This is true not only for the users of our patch, but for the users of Wesp's patch
as well. Bloodlines is not compatible with Steam... period. Regardless of what the idiots at Steam may say to the contrary.

You need to delete the game, re-install it and then CAREFULLY follow all of the installation instructions to the letter.
And if you are playing the Steam version, then you MUST move the game out and away from Steam into a totally
new and unique location on your hard drive... BEFORE you patch it and mod it. I can not stress this enough.
The download-able Steam version of Bloodlines MUST be moved... TOTALLY MOVED... away from Steam.

I can not give you any further advice unless you provide me with more specific information regarding your setup.

Incidentally, you mentioned that you are a Windows 7 user. Make sure that Windows 7 itself is not interfering with
your attempts to move/patch/modify the game. Check your User Rights Management settings, if you suspect
that this may indeed be the case. You might wish to shut URM off completely until after you have finished
setting up Bloodlines. I personally cant stand Windows 7 URM and I have shut mine off permanently.

caninelegion

• Berserker

Male
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2013, 11:50:35 AM »
I have the three disc version.  OK, I'll try again but I really thought I did follow the instructions having got the messages and all (meaning, there a good chance I'll make the same mistake again).  As I recall, there is an issue of uninstalling everything, ie, not everything unloads (possibly save files?).  And, just to be sure, I don't need the official 1.2 patch loaded first, right (I know, you did say, "I repeat, no other patches are needed" :) )?  Darn!  I was hoping I made a basic, easily noticed mistake. 
These biting remarks brought to you by Legio K-IX, King Icy I Commanding

Tessera

• Administrator
  • Leviathan

• Texture Artist

Male
  • Personal Text
    Sexaholic Sleazemuffin
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2013, 12:11:56 PM »
I have the three disc version.  OK, I'll try again but I really thought I did follow the instructions having got the messages and all (meaning, there a good chance I'll make the same mistake again).  As I recall, there is an issue of uninstalling everything, ie, not everything unloads (possibly save files?).  And, just to be sure, I don't need the official 1.2 patch loaded first, right (I know, you did say, "I repeat, no other patches are needed" :) )?  Darn!  I was hoping I made a basic, easily noticed mistake.  

The official 1.2 patch is already incorporated into the True Patch Gold Edition. The TPG is the only patch you need.

So far as fixing whatever you did wrong during your previous installation attempt, the best way to go about it is to just start over again from scratch...

(1) Delete your entire existing Bloodlines installation. Don't just run the game's own uninstall routine... open up Windows Explorer and manually delete the ENTIRE game. All of it. Zap the entire fucking thing out of existence.

(2) Defrag your hard drive after deleting Bloodlines. Do not skip this step.

(3) Re-install Bloodlines, from the original 3 CD's.

(4) Install the True Patch Gold Edition, according to its instructions.

(5) If you are playing on a widescreen monitor, then you will also need to run the VTMB Res-Patcher utility, which is included within the TPG package. Follow its instructions carefully. Do not run the Res-patcher utility until AFTER you have installed the TPG patch. The rule of thumb is always thus: install the TPG patch first, before doing ANYTHING else with VTMB.

(6) Edit your desktop shortcut for VTMB, by adding the appropriate switches to the end of the command line that launches the game. This is a required step for everyone who used the Res-Patcher, as well as anyone who is using the VTMB Mega-Mod. The game will not run properly otherwise. If you are unsure of how to do this, then either look up the instructions posted elsewhere on this board, or else just ask and I'll run through it again real quick. It's easy to do. If you do need to ask, then be sure to tell me what your Windows desktop resolution is, so that I can give you a precise answer.

(7) Since you mentioned that you have a copy of the VTMB Mega-Mod, now is the time to install it... after you have done all of the above successfully.

(8} After launching the game and making sure that everything is working properly, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND MAKING A FULL BACKUP COPY OF THE ENTIRE GAME INSTALLATION AT THIS POINT. Just compress it onto a couple of DVD's, using WinRAR or a similar compression program that allows you to spread the archive over several volumes. Doing so will ensure that you have a pristine, patched and modded backup of the game... which will make any future re-installations very, very easy to do.

(9) Play the game and have fun. Everything should be working perfectly, assuming that you did not make any errors.