Okay, Millennials...

Started by Tessera, January 13, 2022, 06:22:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tessera

Here we go again...

Did someone say that the "Okay Boomer" crap was pretty much over with? Well, not in the case of this brat. The pic above shows the culmination of a back-and-forth that I had with this guy, that spanned a couple of hours.

Another classic example of a Millennial in denial, trying to blame Mommy and Daddy for his generation's general failure to succeed. Sorry to be so harsh, but just read that little exchange. He's not even denying that his generation are failures... he's just trying to displace the blame.

Okay Millennials, keep competing with Boomers. Let me tell you how that will turn out: in the history books, hundreds of years from now, Boomers will be remembered for the incomparable number of lasting contributions they made to science, technology, sociology and the arts.

Millennials, on the other hand, will be no more than one or two paragraphs in those same history books. A generation of consumers, not producers. It will be as if your generation had never existed at all.

I actually have more faith in GenZ than I do in Millennials, I'm sorry to say. At least they appear to be proactive, instead of simply being a herd of cynical, lazy and jaded whiners.  ::)

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Tessera

Clarification...

I'm a Boomer. I don't want younger leadership, I want BETTER leadership. Age is not a factor, except in the minds of lazy Millennials, who feel that they are automatically entitled to leadership positions, regardless of their qualifications (or lack thereof). Note that most of those Millennials rabidly supported Bernie Sanders, who is nearly 80 years old. Ageism is childish.

Is youth supposed to be some sort of guarantee against corruption? Well then, let's talk about Matt Gaetz, Lauren Boebert, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Kirsten Sinema (who originally ran as a progressive, btw), Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz. All of those politicians are below the age of 50 and a couple of them are Millennials. So now what? They're all younger people... so what went wrong?

Age is not the issue... HONESTY and INTEGRITY and ETHICS and EXPERIENCE are where you should be focusing your attention. You all wanted to vote for Bernie -- many of you still do -- and he's old enough to be your grandfather. But you recognize his QUALIFICATIONS. Stay focused on that.

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Blankspace

Quote from: Tessera on July 17, 2022, 02:12:24 PM
Clarification...

I'm a Boomer. I don't want younger leadership, I want BETTER leadership. Age is not a factor, except in the minds of lazy Millennials, who feel that they are automatically entitled to leadership positions, regardless of their qualifications (or lack thereof). Note that most of those Millennials rabidly supported Bernie Sanders, who is nearly 80 years old. Ageism is childish.

Is youth supposed to be some sort of guarantee against corruption? Well then, let's talk about Matt Gaetz, Lauren Boebert, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Kirsten Sinema (who originally ran as a progressive, btw), Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz. All of those politicians are below the age of 50 and a couple of them are Millennials. So now what? They're all younger people... so what went wrong?

Age is not the issue... HONESTY and INTEGRITY and ETHICS and EXPERIENCE are where you should be focusing your attention. You all wanted to vote for Bernie -- many of you still do -- and he's old enough to be your grandfather. But you recognize his QUALIFICATIONS. Stay focused on that.

Age isn't a problem unless you go senile.
That's what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence.

Tessera

Quote from: Blankspace on July 17, 2022, 04:13:47 PM
Age isn't a problem unless you go senile.

Senility... also known as dementia. Which happens to a small number of older adults. Here's something from the AMA:

For people aged between 65 and 69, around 2 in every 100 people have dementia. A person's risk then increases as they age, roughly doubling every five years. This means that, of those aged over 90, around 33 in every 100 people have dementia.

Like I said... only a small number of people. I'll worry about it when I'm 90.   ;)

Tessera

Millennial to Boomer: "Give us all of the stuff that YOU built."

Boomer to Millennial: "But we're still using it. After all, we created it."

Millennial to Boomer: "It doesn't matter. You've used it long enough. Now give it to us!"

Boomer to Millennial: "How about building something of your own for a change? How about that idea?"

::)

Tessera

Reality Check for Millennials

Another pissy and misguided Millennial makes the mistake of getting into an ageist confrontation with me on YouTube...

Tessera

Millennial Music:

https://youtu.be/IRsc57nK8mg

Boomer Music:

https://youtu.be/PzEWdI7PWfk

Next little brat says "Okay Boomer" to me gets his eardrums and face smashed.  >:(

Blankspace

Quote from: Tessera on September 25, 2022, 02:28:00 PM
Millennial Music:

https://youtu.be/IRsc57nK8mg

Boomer Music:

https://youtu.be/PzEWdI7PWfk

Next little brat says "Okay Boomer" to me gets his eardrums and face smashed.  >:(

Van Halen give a much better show, while Wolfmother is literality commercial background music.

Drazgar

Tessera

Quote from: Drazgar on September 25, 2022, 10:08:08 PM
Never even heard of these guys. But perhaps it's just me.

I'm told that they're a popular band among Millennials.

Blonde Guardian

Ah, Wolfmother, famous for ripping off every 70s band simultaneously. They are blown out of the water by sexagenarian Van Halen, and that's without even getting into a direct song comparison. I'd take them over Ed Sheeran and Olivia Rodrigo, though...

I think Radiohead is the most definitive Millennial band though (of course they're technically Gen X, as are most bands Millennials love, but I mean in terms of popularity and influence), at least among those who are "into music". Specifically their albums OK Computer and Kid A, neither of which I can listen to without getting sleepy, but a significant amount of young people seem to like music that's rather enervated and dreamy-sounding.

Tessera

Quote from: Blonde Guardian on September 29, 2022, 07:29:29 AMthey're technically Gen X, as are most bands Millennials love

Exactly and this is the issue: Millennials don't create anything, they just consume.

Tessera

Looking Fine at 59

Carol Alt. Supermodel. Boomer. Age (in this photo): 59

The above photo was taken in 2019, or possibly in 2020. It's supermodel Carol Alt, who was hot stuff back in the 80's, striking a sexy pose at the age of 59. Carol also posed in Playboy in 2008, when she was 48 years old.

This is what you can look like, when you stay thin all of your life, exercise and eat a healthy diet. A lot of 20-year-olds would kill to have a body like hers. "Okay Boomer" just took on an entirely new meaning.

Will Never

I have nothing against Boomers... but I just want to know why Boomers support Donald Trump in such overwhelming numbers compared to everyone else.  Is it because he himself is one of them? Or are they just a generation taken?  :(

Tessera

Quote from: Will Never on May 28, 2023, 07:29:30 PM
I have nothing against Boomers... but I just want to know why Boomers support Donald Trump in such overwhelming numbers compared to everyone else.  Is it because he himself is one of them? Or are they just a generation taken?  :(

Well, I just looked into it, mainly because I can't imagine the people of my generation supporting that fat orange psycho. We've been wise to Trump and his bullshit for decades.

As it turns out, Trump seems to enjoy most of his support from the next generation after mine... GenX. Here's what the NY Post said about it last year:

"President Trump continues to enjoy the support of voters under age 50, with 55 percent of those ages 35 to 49 giving him a positive approval rating, according to a poll. And across the remaining age groups, disapproval numbers were similar — with a 58 percent majority of the 50-64 demographic disapproving, and the 18-34 group disapproving by 56 percent, the poll found."

SOURCE: https://nypost.com/2020/09/22/trump-has-support-of-younger-voters-while-older-ones-disapprove/

I happen to fall within that 50-64 age group. Most of us hate him. So there you have it... most Boomers don't like Trump, and neither do Millennials and GenZ, but GenX seem to be his biggest supporters. I watched GenX grow up and so this doesn't surprise me. They happen to be a very selfish generation and Trump definitely appeals to selfish people. GenX also love to take credit for things that were actually created by Boomers. I guess they hated growing up in our shadow, or some such shit. Anyway, there we are: Boomers don't support Trump. He may be a member of our generation, but he's never been one of us. He's a punk.

The best news is that the rest of us outnumber GenX by a factor of about 3-to-1. But it's important for younger voters to do a better job when it comes to voting in the primaries. I was happy to see high turnout among younger voters in the general election last year... but voting in the general isn't enough, because by that time, older voters have already chosen the candidates for you. So let's all work together and bury these MAGA morons.

Blankspace

Quote from: Tessera on May 29, 2023, 05:39:57 AM
Quote from: Will Never on May 28, 2023, 07:29:30 PM

Well, I just looked into it, mainly because I can't imagine the people of my generation supporting that fat orange psycho. We've been wise to Trump and his bullshit for decades.

As it turns out, Trump seems to enjoy most of his support from the next generation after mine... GenX. Here's what the NY Post said about it last year:

"President Trump continues to enjoy the support of voters under age 50, with 55 percent of those ages 35 to 49 giving him a positive approval rating, according to a poll. And across the remaining age groups, disapproval numbers were similar — with a 58 percent majority of the 50-64 demographic disapproving, and the 18-34 group disapproving by 56 percent, the poll found."

SOURCE: https://nypost.com/2020/09/22/trump-has-support-of-younger-voters-while-older-ones-disapprove/

I happen to fall within that 50-64 age group. Most of us hate him. So there you have it... most Boomers don't like Trump, and neither do Millennials and GenZ, but GenX seem to be his biggest supporters. I watched GenX grow up and so this doesn't surprise me. They happen to be a very selfish generation and Trump definitely appeals to selfish people. GenX also love to take credit for things that were actually created by Boomers. I guess they hated growing up in our shadow, or some such shit. Anyway, there we are: Boomers don't support Trump. He may be a member of our generation, but he's never been one of us. He's a punk.

The best news is that the rest of us outnumber GenX by a factor of about 3-to-1. But it's important for younger voters to do a better job when it comes to voting in the primaries. I was happy to see high turnout among younger voters in the general election last year... but voting in the general isn't enough, because by that time, older voters have already chosen the candidates for you. So let's all work together and bury these MAGA morons.

This is not surprising when you see how various groups act online.

Cylnar

Of course, that demographic sampling does not really match up with the current distribution of generations. Boomers (born 1946-1965, the only generation comprised of a 20 year bracket) are 58-77 years old this year. Gen X (born 1966-1980) are 43-57 years old this year. Millennials (born 1981-1995) are 28-42 years old this year. Gen Z (born 1996-2010) are 13-27 years old this year (meaning only 2/3 of the cohort are significant when it comes to voting). :-\

The demographic sampling Tess quoted only lists ages of up to 64, which addresses less than a third of the Boomer generation; the upper 2/3, senior citizens 65 and up, are not mentioned at all (and they seem like the classic Fox News convert age range, like my dad, though technically he is a "Silent" since he was born in 1942). Like Tess, I am included in the 50-64 age range that has a healthy aversion to Trump. The 35--49 range which includes the most Trump supporters (younger Xers and older Millennials) were likely exposed to Trump during his mid-80s-mid 90s "minor celebrity" phase in which he appeared on "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" and did cameos in several movies. Not to mention they experienced the Republican renaissance of the 80s in which Reaganomics seemed to be the key to prosperity, at least to morons, of which there have always been plenty. There are probably a lot of Republicans in that cohort in general; perhaps they thought Trump would bring about a return to the "glory days" of the 1980s. ::)

But then, arbitrary demographic assignments into "generations" are hardly indicative of where the real fault lines lie in the American public.You gotta get a lot more granular than that, in order to suss out why retards favor Trump. :D
Stupidity is self-perpetuating and self-propagating. Genius must constantly be exercised to flourish.
Religion is the wool that's been pulled over our eyes to turn us into sheep.
"Behind every great fortune is a great crime." -- Honoré de Balzac
Wise up...rise up!

Tessera

LOL... whoops, I forgot that Cylnar is GenX.  :-[

Well, I can only tell you what I know about my own generation. Of course, a discussion of this type is going to be prone to a lot of speculation and conjecture. I'll just reply with what I know first-hand.

If you read a bit about the Boomer generation, you'll find that many sociologists bust my generation in half... Early Boomers and Late Boomers. Interestingly, the older they are, the more likely they are to be liberals. Early Boomers were the first people drafted and sent into Vietnam. They are the counter-culture, naked hippies at Woodstock generation and apparently, most of them remained left-ish as they grew older.

It's the younger Boomers (my demographic) who actually tend to be more conservative than our older peers. Younger Boomers were the so-called "Yuppies" in the 80's, for example. Many of them embraced Reagan at the time and later became neo-cons. I can remember many a political argument back in the 80's, between myself and other Late Boomers. Some of those arguments were very heated. Some became fist fights.

I know it sounds weird that the older they are, the more liberal Boomers are... but a lot of that has to do with the socio-dynamics of the Vietnam era. Younger Boomers like me escaped the draft and therefore, we weren't quite as anti-establishment as the older Boomers. We had an easier ride than the older Boomers did.

So I think it's still safe to say that MOST of my generation do not support Donald Trump. He seems to be getting most of his support from GenX, the Silent Generation (including my mom), and a smattering of stupid dumbass Millennials who, as you say, are probably just caught up in a cult of personality surrounding Trump.