Electronic Arts named the worst company in America – again

Started by Cylnar, April 10, 2013, 07:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cylnar

by Chris Morris
Tuesday, April 9, 2013
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/electronic-arts-named-worst-company-america-again-170932002.html

For the second year in a row, readers of the consumer-watchdog website The Consumerist have named Electronic Arts "the worst company in America," vilifying the video game publisher more than Bank of America, Comcast and Ticketmaster (which took second, third and fourth places, respectively).

The results of the poll are hardly surprising -- even EA predicted it would repeat the dubious honor -- but they were certainly conclusive.

EA faced stiff competition en route to the championship round, besting fellow disliked companies Anheuser-Busch, Facebook and AT&T before squaring off against Bank of America in the final round of voting. BofA proved no match, however, as EA captured a decisive 78 percent of the vote to take home the not-so-coveted "Golden Poo" award. It's the second straight "win" for EA and the second straight runner-up nod for Bank of America.

EA was cited for its love of microtransactions, the price of its games and its irritating DRM practices, among other issues. But the disastrous SimCity launch was a particular sore point.

"EA made a royal mess of the SimCity release by failing to foresee that the people who would buy the game -- and who would, per the game's design, be required to connect to the EA servers -- might actually want to play at some point in the week after making their purchase," wrote the site. "But that's just the latest in EA's long history of annoying its customer base with bad support. Customers who paid full price for games, or who spent or saved huge piles of in-game cash in EA's online products, would suddenly find a problem with their accounts, but attempts to rectify the problem -- or even get a response from EA -- would go unheeded."

EA chief operating officer Peter Moore, in an open letter to gamers last week, admitted the company could do better, but said the label of "worst company" was undeserved.

"Are we really the 'Worst Company in America?'" he asked. "I'll be the first to admit that we've made plenty of mistakes. These include server shut downs too early, games that didn't meet expectations, missteps on new pricing models and most recently, severely fumbling the launch of SimCity. We owe gamers better performance than this. ... But I am damn proud of this company, the people around the globe who work at EA, the games we create and the people that play them."

Editors at The Consumerist seemed to take umbrage at Moore's pre-emptive defense of the company, deconstructing it as they announced the final round. The Consumerist also shrugged off Moore's criticism of EA being compared to companies that have polluted the planet and evicted people from their homes.

"Make no mistake: Video games are big business," the site said. "A company like EA -- and Activision, Ubisoft, Nintendo, and Sony, etc. -- merits just as much scrutiny as any other business that plays a leading role in a multibillion-dollar industry. It's only a fractured, antiquated public perception that video games are somehow frivolous holdovers from childhood that allows gamers to be abused and taken advantage of by the very people who supply them the games they play."

Though no company wants to win this kind of award, EA in particular doesn't need more bad news. EA is already dealing with a much more significant issue thanks to the resignation of CEO John Riccitiello last month, not to mention continued fallout from the SimCity debacle. However, investors were undeterred when the company won last year, as the stock price was unaffected, and it didn't hurt game sales demonstrably -- though apparently EA is doing a perfectly fine job hurting itself.
Stupidity is self-perpetuating and self-propagating. Genius must constantly be exercised to flourish.
Religion is the wool that's been pulled over our eyes to turn us into sheep.
"Behind every great fortune is a great crime." -- Honoré de Balzac
Wise up...rise up!

perez007usa

"The Two most important days in your life are, the day you were born and the day you found out, WHY" -Mark Twain"

Ratcatcher

I may not be perfect but i am myself.
I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
God = Guns, Oil, Drugs.

Tessera

Bunch of fucking crooks. I've been ranting against EA for years and years.

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

beetle

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got. Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Cat

SpyderArachnid

I wouldn't say the worst company in America, but the worst company in gaming? Yeah. That I can agree with.

Tessera

I'm not sure who is worse for gaming... EA, or ActiVision.

Both companies are run by a bunch of greedy, amoral criminals, so far as I am concerned.

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

SpyderArachnid

As well, don't forget Nexon and NCSoft now.

NCSoft and Nexon seem to be destroying GW2 one bit at a time with their greed. Not to mention NCSoft and Nexon have been doing it for years to other games as well. Just GW2 is their new toy.

Gimblenurse

Congrats EA! Go for the triple! In that case they should let you keep the trophy.

SchwhatNow

They just continue to worry more about their profit than actually pleasing their market. Remember the good old days when gaming wasn't a high-profit business so companies that made games made them with heart and soul? It's almost like a dream it was so long ago.

Coldy

EA, ACTIVISION BLIZZARD AND UBISOFT  are all greedy fucking bastards.
Not one of them care about the fans, they just want cash cash cash, quick and easy. I haven't seen a good game from any of these companies in a very long time.

And yet for each of their game release there are so many who pre order and pay for the every bit of shitty DLC, no wonder they won't stop. :(

It's frustrating. The CoD generation players are knob ends.

b12x

worst company on online gaming as i can see. they making games pay 2 win.

dexter19

Quote from: Coldy on April 24, 2013, 09:20:33 AM
EA, ACTIVISION BLIZZARD AND UBISOFT  are all greedy fucking bastards.
Not one of them care about the fans, they just want cash cash cash, quick and easy. I haven't seen a good game from any of these companies in a very long time.

And yet for each of their game release there are so many who pre order and pay for the every bit of shitty DLC, no wonder they won't stop. :(

It's frustrating. The CoD generation players are knob ends.

I like Blizzard and Ubisoft at the beginning, but now they really do all for the money
Spoon boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That\\\'s impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Spoon boy: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Spoon boy: Then you\\\'ll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.
<br

Tessera

Quote from: dexter19 on August 24, 2013, 10:25:35 AM
I like Blizzard and Ubisoft at the beginning, but now they really do all for the money

That's because Blizzard was bought by ActiVision, and UbiSoft was bought by Electronic Arts (EA).

Both of those publishers are run by people who are nothing but evil, greedy parasites.

If the buying public had any brains at all, then they would recognize the dangers of greed and corporate
domination of the arts and then BOYCOTT any and all products produced by ActiVision and EA.

Or... just pirate all of their shit, from places like the Pirate Bay and Demonoid. That's always an option.

The goal here is to stop giving your money to the big publishers. How you go about accomplishing that
goal is entirely up to you. And yes... it WILL hurt them. Real bad. It already has hurt them, in fact.

dexter19

Quote from: Tessera on August 24, 2013, 12:51:43 PM
Quote from: dexter19 on August 24, 2013, 10:25:35 AM

That's because Blizzard was bought by ActiVision, and UbiSoft was bought by Electronic Arts (EA).

Both of those publishers are run by people who are nothing but evil, greedy parasites.

If the buying public had any brains at all, then they would recognize the dangers of greed and corporate
domination of the arts and then BOYCOTT any and all products produced by ActiVision and EA.

Or... just pirate all of their shit, from places like the Pirate Bay and Demonoid. That's always an option.

The goal here is to stop giving your money to the big publishers. How you go about accomplishing that
goal is entirely up to you. And yes... it WILL hurt them. Real bad. It already has hurt them, in fact.
I think that this is the first time that pirate all of their shit is the best thing we can do, oh wait, maybe not because their game are all bullshit
Spoon boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That\\\'s impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Spoon boy: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Spoon boy: Then you\\\'ll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.
<br

Tessera

Quote from: dexter19 on August 24, 2013, 03:41:00 PM
I think that this is the first time that pirate all of their shit is the best thing we can do, oh wait, maybe not because their game are all bullshit

Read this:

http://www.tessmage.com/forum/index.php/topic,55587.msg55293.html#msg55293

And take note of when I wrote it.  8)

Ratcatcher

Quote from: Tessera on August 24, 2013, 12:51:43 PM
Or... just pirate all of their shit, from places like the Pirate Bay and Demonoid.
Ehr, Demonoid was raided and shut down over a year ago, just FYI.
I may not be perfect but i am myself.
I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
God = Guns, Oil, Drugs.