I hate it when people say...

Started by monkeymax, October 17, 2012, 11:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeymax

my interest in PC and video games is childish.  What is so childish PC and video games?  If PC and video games is childish, so is sex, so is playing golf, so is everything else in this fucking world other than sleeping, eating and making money.  So why do people pick on PC and video games, especially older people and Europeans...  

Tessera

Ask them what THEY do for entertainment.

Playing a good PC game is no more childish than sitting on the couch and watching some lame sitcom on TV. Actually, it's LESS childish than watching a sitcom, because at least we get to be active participants when we play a PC game.

Of course, I suppose a portion of this issue depends upon what sort of PC games you are playing. There are more than a few PC games which are, indeed, rather childish in nature.

On the other hand, a mature RPG such as Vampire -- The Masquerade: Bloodlines is far from being childish. That particular game happens to feature dark themes, adult content, psychologically disturbing elements and a good amount of sex and gore to spice things up. If I had a child, I wouldn't allow him or her to play that game until they were well into their teens.

These days, PC games are a lot like feature films. Some of them are silly, tame and formulaic. Others are mature, sophisticated and deep. So I guess we could say that avidly playing PC games is no more childish a pursuit than regularly going out to the movies.

Some are good, others are bad. As for me, I only play the good ones. That is my point.

As for your comment about "older people and Europeans," well... I can't speak for the Europeans, because I'm an American. But I -am- an older person (I'm over 40), and I love to play a good PC game whenever I have the spare time. In fact, I like them so much that I became a modder back in 2006. But I have other interests, too... including artwork, music, politics, my beautiful girlfriend, fine dining, good literature... well, I think you get the idea. I enjoy a well-rounded life, and PC games are a part of what I enjoy for entertainment.

So that's my take on it. Tell your detractors to shut the fuck up and go get laid. They obviously need it... badly.  :P

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

monkeymax

I think these people think games like Vampire - Bloodlines and Fallout 2 for example, are no different than the Pokemon and Mario games.  I guess these people are just extremely ignorant.   

Schu

A lot of people are ignorant about PC gaming, and its advantages as an outlet, or as a way to help with stress. Virtually any
ARPG out there is great for stress relief. You end-up taking your frustrations out on your keyboard, mouse and computer
instead of other people. RPG games like Fallout, The Longest Journey and Bloodlines get you to use your brain to deal with
the situations your character is put in to, as well as telling a story. RTS games make you use your strategical and tactical
thought process in order to defeat your opponent.

The next time your detractors say anything about being a PC gamer, show them the type of games your interested in, then tell
them that at least you are exercising your mind, and not just sitting in front of the TV, being lazy (we have called it the idiot
box for decades for a reason).
It's never the Liquor, it's just your brain rejecting reality.

perez007usa

I haven't really watched the "idiot box" after the move. Cable is expensive out here, so I use the Net and chose what "I" want to watch.
"The Two most important days in your life are, the day you were born and the day you found out, WHY" -Mark Twain"

ChaosArcher

Quote from: monkeymax on October 17, 2012, 11:21:41 PM
my interest in PC and video games is childish.  What is so childish PC and video games?  If PC and video games is childish, so is sex, so is playing golf, so is everything else in this fucking world other than sleeping, eating and making money.  So why do people pick on PC and video games, especially older people and Europeans...  

A year old, but still to the point:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/8564342/Average-video-gamer-is-37.html

Also like Tessera stated, there are many games, some childish and some are truly mature. I guess people pick on gamers because they have misconceptions of what games are. But in their defense, lots of people play apps on their smart phones, which I guess could seem childish.

About the Europeans...
I am not so sure, lots of Europeans play and enjoy games despite some restrictions and prices. Not to mention uncensored games (compared to the US).

-ChaosArcher

monkeymax

October 20, 2012, 10:56:21 PM #6 Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 11:25:19 PM by monkeymax
Quote from: ChaosArcher on October 20, 2012, 10:03:35 PM
Quote from: monkeymax on October 17, 2012, 11:21:41 PM

A year old, but still to the point:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/8564342/Average-video-gamer-is-37.html

Also like Tessera stated, there are many games, some childish and some are truly mature. I guess people pick on gamers because they have misconceptions of what games are. But in their defense, lots of people play apps on their smart phones, which I guess could seem childish.

About the Europeans...
I am not so sure, lots of Europeans play and enjoy games despite some restrictions and prices. Not to mention uncensored games (compared to the US).

-ChaosArcher
What do you mean, a year old?

If you consider the Irish, the British and Scandinavians European, then lots of Europeans play and enjoy PC games, sure.  The Irish, the British and the Scandinavians are very PC game and video game friendly like Americans.  But if you don't consider these people, Europeans, then lots of Europeans do not play and enjoy PC and video games.  In fact, most of them think PC games and video games are for children, losers and outcasts.  I'm not jumping to conclusions as an American about people who are different.  I have lived in Europe and experienced the cultures over there, first hand as a gamer.   You don't even need to have lived in Europe to see this though.  Just go there on vacation and visit countries like France, Germany, Poland and you will see what I'm talking about.  For example, walk into a store in France or Germany that sells PC games and video games and you will find mostly children's games.  Reveal to other people in Germany, that you play 3d shooters and see how they instantly start looking at you as a creepy loser who will one day go on a killing spree.  Befriend a lot of Russians and tell them you play PC games and video games and they will all probably give you a lecture on why it is important to grow up.  Walk into a store in Poland and see the tiny little section they have for PC games and video games.  

Cylnar

Quote from: monkeymax on October 20, 2012, 10:56:21 PMReveal to other people in Germany, that you play 3d shooters and see how they instantly start looking at you as a creepy loser who will one day go on a killing spree.

So Wesp has given all German gamers a bad name, then? :laugh:
Stupidity is self-perpetuating and self-propagating. Genius must constantly be exercised to flourish.
Religion is the wool that's been pulled over our eyes to turn us into sheep.
"Behind every great fortune is a great crime." -- Honoré de Balzac
Wise up...rise up!

perez007usa

Cylnar, that was a good one!  ;D  But anywho, monkeymax why are you so up and up about what others say. It is you, who you have to please, not joe blow. As the old song said, "An' it's all right now, yeah, learned my lesson well You see, ya can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself."
That is the only way to do it my friend .

"The Two most important days in your life are, the day you were born and the day you found out, WHY" -Mark Twain"

monkeymax

October 21, 2012, 08:17:37 AM #9 Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 08:29:10 AM by monkeymax
Quote from: Cylnar on October 21, 2012, 12:16:44 AM
Quote from: monkeymax on October 20, 2012, 10:56:21 PMReveal to other people in Germany, that you play 3d shooters and see how they instantly start looking at you as a creepy loser who will one day go on a killing spree.

So Wesp has given all German gamers a bad name, then? :laugh:
Well a lot of the politicians in Germany have successfully brainwashed the mainstream people there that 3d shooters turn you into a cold blooded killer.  AND Wesp has given all German gamers a bad name.  :laugh:  Turning VTMB into Counter Strike with vampires = Not Cool. 

PS
In Germany, you can still be accepted and play PC games and video games but only if you game in moderation and play non 3d shooter games that are well known by the public.  But like I said, if you are seriously into PC games and video games, they will think you are a child or a loser/outcast if you aren't a child.  

monkeymax

October 21, 2012, 08:28:11 AM #10 Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 08:39:35 AM by monkeymax
Quote from: perez007usa on October 21, 2012, 07:08:49 AM
Cylnar, that was a good one!  ;D  But anywho, monkeymax why are you so up and up about what others say. It is you, who you have to please, not joe blow. As the old song said, "An' it's all right now, yeah, learned my lesson well You see, ya can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself."

I became kind of insecure about myself since my life turned to shit so words from people that should bounce off me, sting.  But you are definitely right.  In this world, you are #1 and everyone else is #2. 

ChaosArcher

Quote from: monkeymax on October 20, 2012, 10:56:21 PM

The article links was from 2011.

Quote from: monkeymax on October 21, 2012, 08:28:11 AM
Cylnar, that was a good one!  ;D  But anywho, monkeymax why are you so up and up about what others say. It is you, who you have to please, not joe blow. As the old song said, "An' it's all right now, yeah, learned my lesson well You see, ya can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself."

I became kind of insecure about myself since my life turned to shit so words from people that should bounce off me, sting.  But you are definitely right.  In this world, you are #1 and everyone else is #2. 

monkeymax, I agree with your last statement completely.

-ChaosArcher

monkeymax

Quote from: ChaosArcher on October 21, 2012, 08:59:09 PM

-ChaosArcher

That I'm kind of insecure?  Thanks.

ChaosArcher

Quote from: monkeymax on October 22, 2012, 07:36:28 AM
Quote from: ChaosArcher on October 21, 2012, 08:59:09 PM

-ChaosArcher

That I'm kind of insecure?  Thanks.

LoL of course not :laugh:

I meant: "In this world, you are #1 and everyone else is #2. "

-ChaosArcher

Xalkar

Quote from: monkeymax on October 21, 2012, 08:17:37 AM
[...]
Well a lot of the politicians in Germany have successfully brainwashed the mainstream people there that 3d shooters turn you into a cold blooded killer.  AND Wesp has given all German gamers a bad name.  :laugh:  Turning VTMB into Counter Strike with vampires = Not Cool. 

PS
In Germany, you can still be accepted and play PC games and video games but only if you game in moderation and play non 3d shooter games that are well known by the public.  But like I said, if you are seriously into PC games and video games, they will think you are a child or a loser/outcast if you aren't a child.  
You're exaggerating. This view might have been prominent 5-10 years ago but for the generations who are under 45, playing video games certainly is socially acceptable. Yes, shooters as well. The whole "Killerspiel"-debate has really died down

Over the last couple of years, video gaming has even become something of a family activity thanks to the Wii. This way, even those who don't actually understand video games, who did not grow up with them have someone in their family who does or they have at least seen countless commercials with happy families playing Wii Sports and the like.
Both of my parents (45+) play PC games (most recent: Father: The Witcher 2, mother: Anno series) from time to time and even my grandparents (70+) play little flash games or at least solve Sudokus on their PC.

So I guess gaming has indeed arrived in German society and is far less frowned upon compared to a few years ago.

Bear6360

People are going to make fun of ANYTHING you do that they do not do themselves, and they're going to do it for one of several reasons.

1.  They're insecure.  If they make fun of you, they feel better about themselves.
2.  They're jealous.  Perhaps the person making the comment wants to spend time with you, but they don't want to play video games.
3.  They're afraid.  People fear things that are different or things they do not understand.

I say poo on them!  Being accepting and adaptable is what puts man at the top of the food chain.  Resisting or fearing things different or new is how you go extinct.  *harumph*

;D 

Wanting to spend time with you - now that's one to pay attention to.  Not many people are interested in me, and I'm fine with that.  ...but when my kids want to do something with me, I try to make time for them.

Hope this long winded response helps.

beetle

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got. Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Tessera

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera