Looking for a new video card? check this one out

Started by Schu, February 16, 2013, 06:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schu

Okay lady's and gentlemen, if you are looking for a new video card, then you need to look at this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202024

I dont care if you are a nVidia fan, or you prefer AMD/ATI, this Sapphire Radeon HD7870 XT, will blow your fucking mind.  This thing is an XFX HD5870 SE on steroids, and I'm not joking.  This card is using the 7970 Tahiti GPU chip, under clocked, and fewer Stream Processors (1536 instead of 2038), but it can out perform the 7950 (1734 stream processors) with stock clocks on both.  The fun part is, you can easily overclock this card without issue (the duel fans tend to help), plus it is even quieter then my HD5870 under full load.  Not to mention  the price difference ( around 250.00 for the 7870 XT compared to the over 300.00 for the 7950, or 450.00 + for the 7970).

I have been running this card with its memory at 1100Mhz (stock 975Mhz), and the temps are below my HD5870 stock temps.

I bought this card due to price, plus I wanted to update to a newer card (my 5870 is getting old), and to tell you the truth, I am very happy with my choice.  This card has shown me that AMD/ATI is working hard to stay in the video card industry, and willing to sacrifice a little bit to do so.  I just wish they would spend a little more time cooking their drivers, but I could say the same about nVidia.

I got something you should think about.  The HD7870 XT is a mid level video card (compared to the HD7970), that can out perform a 3 year old, top tier, high end, video card that still sets a standard to this day for a single GPU, when no one else is doing that.  For your information; the ATI HD5870 had nVidia on the run 3 years ago, due to its low temps, low wattage, and its high-end performance for a mid range price (350 dollars).  This is when nVidia was having issues with over-heating (melt-downs actually), and extreme wattage use, on their 600 dollar+ cards.  Then suddenly nVidia starts pushing Aegia PhysX, and now stable frame rates, "NOT" max performance on their high dollar, high end video cards.

I'm all for stable frame rates in my games, but if I want to run my games at 30 to 40 FPS consistently, I will buy a console, which to me is the direction that nVidia is heading towards.  Consistency is one thing, selling out is another, I want my 60+ FPS not 40+...go AMD, keep pushing the envelope.
It's never the Liquor, it's just your brain rejecting reality.

Tessera

You're gonna think that I'm some kind of elitist pig... but this is what I'm currently considering as my next video card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202005

ATI uber-ness.  ;D

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100351-6GVXSR Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition
6GB 384-bit GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0 x16

PS -- the current crop of Radeon cards blow nVidia's garbage outta the water.
Not only are they just as fast (or faster), but their overall visual quality is superior.

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Schu

You rotten no-good Elitist  :laugh:

That was one of the cards I was looking at, along side the XFX counter part, and I want one.  Unfortunately I don't have an extra 600 bucks laying around, so I had to compromise and bought the 250.00 dollar one.  As you know my XFX HD5870 SE is getting old, and after more than 3years of reliable use, it's time for it to retire, and go back into the box as a back-up card.  Whats funny is I don't even miss the 5870...that is how good the HD7870 XT is.

Tess if or when you get that card, you need to post about it, and let us know how nice it is.
It's never the Liquor, it's just your brain rejecting reality.

perez007usa

Wow! I still have my old 9400 gt and it is going strong. Better yet! way don't you send me your old card so I can try it. ::) (600 bucks, carry the one,,,, that is sure a lot of somalians even 250 smackers is alot, maybe ebay.)   
"The Two most important days in your life are, the day you were born and the day you found out, WHY" -Mark Twain"