U.S. ELECTIONS DISCUSSION THREAD

Started by Cylnar, November 06, 2012, 10:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cylnar

November 06, 2012, 10:09:53 AM Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:20:51 AM by Cylnar
This is where we can gather to talk about the federal, state and local elections on November 6, 2012 and possibly continuing on longer due to things like hanging chads, Republican voter suppression and intimidation efforts and litigation against same, voting machines owned by Tagg Romney, Superstorm Sandy-related issues, etc. So come here to discuss any electoral or political issues you may have, not just the Presidential race. However, if you mention non-presidential or otherwise non-high-profile races (the Warren/Brown Senate race in Massachusetts is a high-profile non-presidential race, for example), please supply a little background so people have some idea of just what the fuck you're on about.

Did you spot international election observers and/or "True the Vote" (voter suppression) operatives at your polling station? Do you live in a battleground state? Did you vote for a third-party candidate? Will the nation continue to crumble slowly under a reelected President Obama or careen flaming to global-warming hell in a handbasket under a new President Romney? Should we start learning to speak Mandarin now, or can we wait a little longer? Did you decide not to vote at all, believing your vote worthless in such a corrupt system? Have you ever considered assassinating a politician, plutocrat or CEO? Will you get shitfaced tonight if your favorite candidate loses (or wins)? Are you packing up to move to Canada, where they have socialized health care / a conservative government? Should we all buy boats, bring them out to the middle of the ocean, tie them together and declare ourselves beyond all nations and their laws? Are you relieved, or disappointed, that Ralph Nader did not run this time? Anything at all goes, as long as it's vaguely about the elections. ;)
Stupidity is self-perpetuating and self-propagating. Genius must constantly be exercised to flourish.
Religion is the wool that's been pulled over our eyes to turn us into sheep.
"Behind every great fortune is a great crime." -- Honoré de Balzac
Wise up...rise up!

Cylnar

You can watch a third-party Presidential debate, hosted by Ralph Nader and starring the Presidential candidates the two-party puppet plutocracy doesn't want you to know about (Jill Stein, Green; Rocky Anderson, Justice; Gary Johnson, Libertarian; and Virgil Goode, Constitution) on Ralph Nader's website:

http://nader.org/2012/11/06/3rd-party-presidential-debate/

It's about two hours long, so get your popcorn ready. 8)

There was also a prior debate, hosted by Larry King, which is available here at Russia Today's YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EcaX12h46k

Note the irony of having to go to Russia Today to find out about the American third-party candidates. :'(
Stupidity is self-perpetuating and self-propagating. Genius must constantly be exercised to flourish.
Wise up...rise up!

Tessera

I just got back from voting. I don't like who I voted for... but the other guy is a total scumbag.

The candidate that I WISH was running in this election has sadly retired (Nader).

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Cylnar

I did not support the two-party duopoly. ;D

I also have the dubious luxury of living in a state that will almost certainly award its electors to Willard Mitt Romney whether I voted for Barack Obama, Jill Green or Rocky Anderson. :P

My ballot was ready to go (mail ballot I never got sent off due to my lack of an outgoing box) and my polling station is literally behind my house (and provides one of the few reasons I would have to darken the door of a church). I was back home within five minutes of when I left. Convenient, that. :laugh:

Quote from: Tessera on November 06, 2012, 11:50:49 AM
The candidate that I WISH was running in this election has sadly retired (Nader).

You and me both. :-\
Wise up...rise up!

Cat

In my mail-in ballout I did last month, I choose Green if there were 3rd parties listed, and for sections with no 3rd parties, democrat.

Tessera

The only reason I voted for Obama is because of Hurricane Sandy. I know that there are going to be a lot of New Yorkers who won't be voting today, mainly because (1) it's very hard to get gasoline right now and (2) the power is still out for a lot of folks and (3) a substantial number of people had to evacuate their homes due to storm surge damage. So I'm expecting the numbers to be way down in this election... so much so, that I figured I had better get out there and help kick President Step 'n' Fetchit over the top. I don't like the guy... but the alternative is a lot worse.

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Cylnar

Quote from: Cat on November 06, 2012, 12:15:29 PM
In my mail-in ballout I did last month, I choose Green if there were 3rd parties listed, and for sections with no 3rd parties, democrat.

That's pretty much what I did, Cat. Ended up voting for a couple Libertarians in races where they were the only third party, or where you chose more than one candidate. :P

Quote from: Tessera on November 06, 2012, 12:20:22 PM
The only reason I voted for Obama is because of Hurricane Sandy. I know that there are going to be a lot of New Yorkers who won't be voting today, mainly because (1) it's very hard to get gasoline right now and (2) the power is still out for a lot of folks and (3) a substantial number of people had to evacuate their homes due to storm surge damage. So I'm expecting the numbers to be way down in this election... so much so, that I figured I had better get out there and help kick President Step 'n' Fetchit over the top. I don't like the guy... but the alternative is a lot worse.

Understandable. I bet you held your nose the whole time, too. :laugh:
Wise up...rise up!

perez007usa

I voted early in the morning when I got off my work shift, I was in line for 20mins tops. They had electronic checking thru your driver's lic, then givin' a "paper ballot" then I did my thing. In this part of Florida we don't trust "electronics " to easily hacked, like they already having in Colorado, you push Dem, Ind. or other it becomes Rep. The person took a vid of it thru his i-phone, and showed the officials.  The officials say that is way it is. The people in that part of Colorado "don't think so" Already the cheating has begone.
"The Two most important days in your life are, the day you were born and the day you found out, WHY" -Mark Twain"

Tessera

Quote from: perez007usa on November 06, 2012, 02:03:13 PMAlready the cheating has begun.

In Pennsylvania, electronic voting machines are tallying up votes for Mitt Romney... even when the voter actually cast his or her vote for Obama.

Well gee, what a fucking surprise. We knew this was going to happen. Those voting machines are partially owned by Romney's own brother.

CNN caught a couple of them in the act... but I wonder how many more of those electronic machines have NOT gotten caught..?

Quote from: Cylnar on November 06, 2012, 12:22:47 PMI bet you held your nose the whole time, too. :laugh:

No... I protectively held my throat, actually...

Sorry. I couldn't resist. I'm a bad boy.  :laugh:

monkeymax

Why do you think Obama is better than Romney?

Tessera

I think Adolph Hitler is better than Romney.

After 8 years of George Bush... another neo-con... what the fuck are you people thinking..? Is everyone's memory that short..? Have you all forgotten just how badly the Republicans raped you in the ass, during the 8 years of the Bush presidency..? Mitt Romney is almost a carbon copy of Bush.

mouser

Quote from: Tessera on November 06, 2012, 03:59:18 PM
I think Adolph Hitler is better than Romney.

After 8 years of George Bush... another neo-con... what the fuck are you people thinking..? Is everyone's memory that short..? Have you all forgotten just how badly the Republicans raped you in the ass, during the 8 years of the Bush presidency..? Mitt Romney is almost a carbon copy of Bush.

No, Bush had personal principles that he stuck to through his eight years. I don't trust Romney to stick to one thing through two meals...

Cylnar

Quote from: Tessera on November 06, 2012, 02:27:18 PM
In Pennsylvania, electronic voting machines are tallying up votes for Mitt Romney... even when the voter actually cast his or her vote for Obama.

Well gee, what a fucking surprise. We knew this was going to happen. Those voting machines are partially owned by Romney's own brother.

CNN caught a couple of them in the act... but I wonder how many more of those electronic machines have NOT gotten caught..?

They're owned by his son actually. Tagg Romney. But yeah, we knew this was going to happen and it may draw out the final vote tally and taint the results for sure. Will this be another 2000? >:(

Quote from: mouser on November 06, 2012, 05:23:00 PM
No, Bush had personal principles that he stuck to through his eight years. I don't trust Romney to stick to one thing through two meals...

Dubya's only "principle" was securing more profits for his buddies in the oil and defense industries. Glad you're not a Romney supporter, at least. :P
Wise up...rise up!

Cylnar

Looks like Elizabeth Warren won her race for Senate against teabagger Scott Brown. ;D

Too early to know all of the changes in the makeup of Congress, but this is a win for progressives for sure. 8)

http://news.yahoo.com/cbs-projects-warren-wins-massachusetts-u-senate-race-024448382.html
Wise up...rise up!

mouser

Quote from: Cylnar on November 06, 2012, 07:17:45 PM

They're owned by his son actually. Tagg Romney. But yeah, we knew this was going to happen and it may draw out the final vote tally and taint the results for sure. Will this be another 2000? >:(

Dubya's only "principle" was securing more profits for his buddies in the oil and defense industries. Glad you're not a Romney supporter, at least. :P

Give Dubya some credit where it's due. If he thought another country was going to attack the US, he would pre-emptively strike. He believed in his tax cuts (and they did increase tax revenues, which is why they keep getting extended). He believed in keeping covert wars covert - How many people in Somalia died because the New York Times ran that article about secret prisons that were already closed...  :'(

I'm not saying you should agree with his principles, but he did have some. There were/are a few people in Washington here and there like that (Ted Kennedy was, John McCain, maybe two or three others. I can't think of his name, that hawkish democrat who turned independent).

Well, if I was still working off Wall Street I might vote for Romney - still wouldn't trust him though. Now that I'm disabled and on medicare, Obama's my guy (although I'd rather they just gave more to medicare rather than trying to spread it around to everybody). So I suppose I'm still as self-interested as ever.

Tessera

If anyone is interested, the Republicans are getting their asses kicked hard right now.

They'll keep the House, but they're losing everything else that matters.

No, Bush had personal principles that he stuck to through his eight years.

Bush is a silver-spoon drunk and drug addict, who sucks corporate cock and swallows.

Cylnar

Quote from: mouser on November 06, 2012, 08:03:04 PM
He believed in his tax cuts (and they did increase tax revenues, which is why they keep getting extended).

They did NOT increase tax revenues...one of the reasons we're so deep in deficit now (the other reason being that Bush didn't bother funding his wars). :P

There were/are a few people in Washington here and there like that (Ted Kennedy was, John McCain, maybe two or three others. I can't think of his name, that hawkish democrat who turned independent).

You're probably thinking of Joe Lieberman (lampooned in VTM: Bloodlines as "Senator Limperman"). He doesn't have any ideals either, except serving his campaign donors and staying in power. Don't know how he's managed to keep Harry Reid from taking away his chairmanships and such, despite the fact that he votes with Republicans more often than not. :P

Well, if I was still working off Wall Street I might vote for Romney - still wouldn't trust him though. Now that I'm disabled and on medicare, Obama's my guy (although I'd rather they just gave more to medicare rather than trying to spread it around to everybody). So I suppose I'm still as self-interested as ever.

That does sound pretty self-interested, but at least you have the balls to admit it, unlike some who disguise their self-interest (getting rid of benefits and regulations) as COMMON interest ("job creation"). >:(
Wise up...rise up!

Cylnar

Quote from: perez007usa on November 06, 2012, 02:03:13 PMAlready the cheating has begun.

If Obama loses and doesn't dispute the results, we'll know he was ordered by his masters (the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and other plutocrats, the same folks who control Mitt Romney) to concede the election, because the masters wanted to go another direction. :P
Wise up...rise up!