Why I Think It Is GOOD To Pirate Commercial Games

Started by Tessera, August 30, 2009, 10:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyon

I think same . Skidrow's cracks are really good :)

BloodyKidney

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/17/interview-bohemia-interactives-ceo-on-fighting-piracy-creative-drm/

Okay I got to reading this article off of PC Gamer and it got me thinking about this topic. From what I remebered about DRM was it is security that asked me to insert disc to play a game so I would grab a fixed/cracked exe and play wihout the cd but this DEGRADE sounds way more complicated. Would something like that be able to stop playing a pirated game?

Tessera

As Mister Scott once said: "The more they over-think the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

Anything that the industry can devise can be cracked. They aren't privy to some sort of secret computer code. Hackers and crackers are generally just as skilled and knowledgeable as so-called "professional coders" are... so if it can be invented, then it can be cracked. It's simply a matter of reverse engineering.

And in the meantime, the industry is continuing to engender more and more bad blood between themselves and their consumer base. Which in turn means: more and more people resort to online pirating in disgust. There are already something like 100 million people worldwide who regularly engage in online media piracy. And each time that the industry comes up with a new way to inconvenience its customers, that number increases by about 10 percent or so. I'm basing that number on the fact that, according to the best estimates that I've seen, the number of people actively engaging in online piracy has jumped up by a factor of ten times over the course of the past 10 years. That's an enormous increase... and it tells me a lot about the general sentiment out there amongst consumers.

So let them keep piling on the DRM. Each time that they do so, their profits will plummet... either because (1) lots of people simply won't buy the game, or (2) because lots of people throw up their hands in anger and frustration and decide to pirate a cracked copy instead. Just as they have been doing, in VAST numbers.

IMO, online piracy is a great way to actively protest against corporate greed, arrogance and bullying.

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Tessera

Quote from: Tessera on October 22, 2011, 04:40:53 PM
There's an updated version of Civilization V available on The Pirate Bay:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6653927/Civilization_V

Oh.... and I almost forgot. I have a special holiday message for Firaxis, Electronic Arts and Steam:

That oughta cover it.

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Tessera

And here's a holiday message for Bethesda Softworks:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6853218/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim

That's the new PC version. Merry Christmas.   :-*

Kyon

I bought a game this days . It's from 2005 later I heard it have Starforce . And later I saw from some peoples Starforce may fuck 64 bit Win 7 . Really asshole :S

Cylnar

Yeah...Starforce is the most evil and destructive offline DRM scheme ever devised. I suggest you find a crack ASAP. :-\
Stupidity is self-perpetuating and self-propagating. Genius must constantly be exercised to flourish.
Religion is the wool that's been pulled over our eyes to turn us into sheep.
"Behind every great fortune is a great crime." -- Honoré de Balzac
Wise up...rise up!

Kyon

Yeah otherwise I will not play this game . I don't want to fuck my 64-bit win 7

Ratcatcher

Quote from: Cylnar on November 29, 2011, 03:00:33 PM
Yeah...Starforce is the most evil and destructive offline DRM scheme ever devised. I suggest you find a crack ASAP. :-\
Entirely agree.
Unfortunately, quite a few Starforce "protected" games were simply ignored by the various cracking groups, so there might not be a crack.

It might be worth mentioning that Good Old Games is planning to expand its catalogue with more recent games while keeping its no-DRM policy.
http://www.gog.com/en/news/gog_coms_plan_for_the_future_gets_some_news
I may not be perfect but i am myself.
I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
God = Guns, Oil, Drugs.

anariel

Quote from: Tessera on November 29, 2011, 01:54:38 PM
And here's a holiday message for Bethesda Softworks:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6853218/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim

That's the new PC version. Merry Christmas.   :-*

Thanks, but I will pass. Since I finished the game, I felt no need to play it (hell, I was playing it because I felt I needed to do it before speaking of the game...). So you see, I had low expectations. And Skyrim gave me a surprise: my low expectations were actually high ¬¬U

Tessera

You might consider grabbing the Skyrim torrent anyway. Because...

You can also enhance it significantly if, in addition to the game itself,
you download and install the "Skyrim Total Enhancement Project,"
which is basically just a big collection of mods and engine tweaks.

That mod package helps to transform the PC version of Skyrim
from being a crippled console-to-PC port (which is what Skyrim
actually is) into being a smoother running PC game. Or at least,
that's what the authors are claiming.

We saw similar mod packages back when Oblivion was released
and most of them turned out to be quite decent.

More info:

http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2789644/?load_bal=003907210612&show_files=&page=1#comments

STEP Mod Package -- Direct Magnet Link (requires BitTorrent or similar torrent client):

http://www.demonoid.me/files/downloadmagnet/2789644/003907210612

Looks like a good plan to me. You get the game for free... you get the new
enhancements for free... and you also get to PUNISH the gaming industry,
for trying to sell us shitty console-to-PC ports at ridiculous prices. ;)

Al2

December 03, 2011, 03:27:44 PM #137 Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 04:10:19 PM by Al2
And bethestha hasn't launch the the construction set yet. Before the game launch they mentioned the construction set, but  they haven't delivered it yet. I was hoping to buy new pc ( mine is a compaq presario that came with win me, 700 mhz procesor,) to rework the skills, put atletism( warrior skill) that let the player alter a bit his enviroment for strategic purposes( digging the earth with tools, moving giant boulders in a certain pattern for an ambush, cutting trees down , acrobatics( thief skill) would include climbing with rope and hoooks as an action to move on celings and walls for more sneaking options, jumping hight doing back flips, and moving fast and Manipulation ( mage skill) wich let the mage shapeshift his body in magical and creative ways( this is the mage's "body" skill) and also let him change people, trees etc.
I'm planning on adding Thaumaturgy and Mysticism.
They should make it more like a roguelike game.
All games in general need to have a complete magic system and not just offensive magic.
For that to happen they need to put more physics in the game. New concepts of world dynamics. But I don't see that coming. They need to make it so that the Alteration skill lets you "dance with time", to make alteration skill way more than just a defensive skill.  But since the companies have become lazy i don't see that coming.
I think Diablo 3 is the same formula like before, 2 mage type classes, 2 warrior type classes and the one in the middle which is an archer, the skills have nothing new to it since is they do the same things like diablo 2, but are rearanged diferently, skills like freeze and slow time( just slows all monsters on the screen). The only thing that you do in the game is killing monsters and nothing more than that, and with no other roguelike game commands or other actions to interact with the world ( Diablo 2 suffered from the same thing). I read that one can gain real cash on diablo3 like some browser games that pay real cash, but I think it will be a really sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow to gain money, just like those browser games.( on those browser games you have to change 100 basic money units to 1 gold, then you need 100 gold to change to 1 euro, and then there is the minimun for cash out, and when you cash out the euros, they lake 25% of what you cash out. I think Diablo 3 will be like something like that)
By the way I have only dial up were I live, the wireless alternatives are too expensive, I can only download large software occasionally from the nearby university, but it has the file-sharing sites like rapidshare, hotfire etc. and torrents websites blocked. So I'm pretty much screwed.

~Lydia!

..I never paid for any game! I don't know how is in USA, but here, in argentina... Who pays for games or music, original cd's/dvd's, etc?

Ratcatcher

I may not be perfect but i am myself.
I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
God = Guns, Oil, Drugs.

Tessera

^^ (applause)

BTW... does anybody recognize the "1992" graphic..?
I do. And I totally loved that game. Still do, in fact.

Cat

Quote from: Tessera on December 14, 2011, 04:52:49 AM
^^ (applause)

BTW... does anybody recognize the "1992" graphic..?
I do. And I totally loved that game. Still do, in fact.

Terra

JRPGs where at their perk in the 8-bit and 16-bit eras.

Nowadays it mostly over the top cinematic tedious crap.

Tessera

It's the main player character from Final Fantasy (the original NES game).

Kyon

What about Phantasy Star Universe . Maybe it is the same boat :P