Microsoft patents spying on you with your TV's camera

Started by Cat, November 10, 2012, 04:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cat

http://boingboing.net/2012/11/08/microsoft-patents-spying-on-yo.html

QuoteBasically, when you buy or rent something like a movie, you'll only be granted a "license" for a certain number of people to watch it. If Kinect detects more people in the room than you had a licence for, it can stop the movie, and even charge you extra. So if Microsoft has its way, you won't just be renting movies any more. You'll have to decide how many people are watching, and no doubt pay more. And if one extra person turns up to your movie night? So help you God, you are going to pay.

Where the outrage to this shit?

Cylnar

No more Microcock software for me. >:(

I'll just stick with XP till the wheels come off. :P

Having my display device watching me is a little too Orwellian for my taste. ::)
Stupidity is self-perpetuating and self-propagating. Genius must constantly be exercised to flourish.
Religion is the wool that's been pulled over our eyes to turn us into sheep.
"Behind every great fortune is a great crime." -- Honoré de Balzac
Wise up...rise up!

Tessera

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

perez007usa

That's a big yes!

Now! Who in their right mind, will have display devices installed on their systems, when they know what it is used for.(I can see you. )
"The Two most important days in your life are, the day you were born and the day you found out, WHY" -Mark Twain"

monkeymax

Quote from: perez007usa on November 10, 2012, 05:07:28 PM
That's a big yes!

Now! Who in their right mind, will have display devices installed on their systems, when they know what it is used for.(I can see you. )
I was planning on buying an XBOX360 some months from now but I changed my mind.  I don't want Microsoft shit in my home, spying on me.  I'm going to buy a PS3, instead.  Microsoft has gone too far.  I'm boycotting Microsoft products from this day forth. 

Tessera

Just put a small piece of black electrical tape over the lens of your webcam.

Anyway, I am quite sure that there will be numerous violation-of-privacy lawsuits that arise from this insanity.

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Schu

I think that MS needs to read the license agreement on DVD's.

It states: as long as you are not using the copyrighted material for commercial use (to make money), they have no say on how you show or view it. The agreement says nothing about how many people can view a DVD at one time, or how many times it can be viewed.

I agree with Tess, there are going to be lawsuits from hell, if this comes to pass.
It's never the Liquor, it's just your brain rejecting reality.

Demigorgon

I see this being used in ways people won't complain too much about; e.g. free movie rentals or renting major movies while they are still in theaters.

Anyway, I know this - if it comes to pass - will be marketed in a manner that highlights the parts people will like. One major thing is how it can restrict what movies a person can watch by their age. Many people will like how the system would not let their 8-year-old watch R-rated movies.

Tessera

It's more Big Brother bullshit. Don't take this lying down, folks.
Your privacy is a right... not a privilege.

otaku686

Well all that is just speculation. There's no way it would ever actually work. The backlash from consumers would shut it down real fast.

perez007usa

Quote from: otaku686 on November 12, 2012, 12:43:03 PM
Well all that is just speculation. There's no way it would ever actually work. The backlash from consumers would shut it down real fast.

Where have you been in the past 14 years?
"The Two most important days in your life are, the day you were born and the day you found out, WHY" -Mark Twain"

monkeymax

Quote from: perez007usa on November 12, 2012, 02:26:12 PM
Quote from: otaku686 on November 12, 2012, 12:43:03 PM

Where have you been in the past 14 years?
Huge corporations don't give a shit about what consumers think anymore.  These corporations recently realized most consumers today are sheep.  They might bitch a little bit if they don't like something but will eventually bend over and buy the latest whatever.

gremegity

So, this news doesn't affect anyone who doesn't have a Kinect? I don't watch all that many movies outside of the theaters, and those that I do are on Netflix, which I watch on my PC. I'm curious to know what would happen if people either didn't have a Kinect or disconnect it, or whatever...

Tessera

Just put a small piece of black electrical tape over the lens of your camera and then, laugh at Big Brother.

perez007usa

Or better yet! Don't install the camera. Unless you are a glutton for punishment.   

Uglek

Quote from: perez007usa on December 09, 2012, 10:30:28 AM
Or better yet! Don't install the camera. Unless you are a glutton for punishment.   

Agree.....why even install it?