Be a HERO and Help STOP SOPA Now!!

Started by Cat, December 23, 2011, 12:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-XBrn6JVvc&feature=g-u&context=G2f59273FUAAAAAAAOAA

QuoteI am spreading some very important about the SOPA Bill and the companies that are lobbying for it, which I believe that all people should listen to. The original author of the video:JeepersMedia has given people permission to upload this video on their account.

This video points out the fact that the companies themselves released the download software.

Ratcatcher

For crying out loud!
Isn't that whats called "entrapment" or somesuch?
I may not be perfect but i am myself.
I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
God = Guns, Oil, Drugs.

Tessera

It's called "creating a problem -- so you can force some fascist legislation afterward." Also known as "wag the dog."

Their goal has always been to take control of the internet. But first, they needed to create a crisis... so that they could have some credibility when they started harassing our Congress for new legislation.

It's all about money, once again. Control the internet, and you completely control internet commerce on ALL sides. And you also stifle the free exchange of ideas.... which is something else that they desire.

We all need to understand a very important fact: the rich and powerful think that all of you are idiots. They think that all of you are gullible, complacent and easily manipulated. The free exchange of information on the internet throws a huge monkey wrench into that mistaken perception on their part... which is why they seek to dominate and control the web. By any means necessary.

Don't fall for this shit, folks. Keep fighting SOPA and keep pirating everything that you can get your hands on. Let's make this phony, manufactured bullshit blow up right in their faces.

We are entering a strange era in human history... a sort of high-tech Medieval period, in which we will have advanced technology, but we will also moving backwards sociologically. A bizarre, high-tech feudal state -- in which our lives count for nothing, except as a human resource in the service of the greedy and the powerful.

Think of ancient Rome... but with computers and space ships. That's where we are currently headed. If you think that I am exaggerating or overreacting, then let's talk again in five or ten years... and then let's see if you still think that I'm wearing a tinfoil hat.

This wretched situation will continue to become increasingly invasive and abusive... unless all of the people in this world band together, rise up and then put a stop to it. By any means necessary.

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Cat

Tessera

All of this is really just another symptom of a much larger problem.

The system needs to be rebuilt. Completely. It was constructed hundreds of years ago in such
a way as to ensure that a wealthy minority would always get their way. And they have.

Trying to work within that same system will only ensure a continuance of the current status quo.

The only truly "progressive" answer is to start thinking outside of the box and work towards an entirely
new and more equitable system. And we can start by eliminating private campaign contributions,
along with the electoral college and the antiquated (and rather dictatorial) two-party system.

We should also think very seriously about OUTLAWING corporations. Any entity which wields great power
without having to take personal responsibility or accountability is, in essence, a potentially tyrannical construct.
Take a good look around and you will see ample proof of just how true that statement really is.

Everything needs to change... or else nothing will ever change. It's high time that we all realized that...
and stopped looking for short-term solutions which amount to little more than band-aids.

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Ratcatcher

Just saw one of those "Hitler on..." clips from the movie The Downfall.
This one was about SOPA. I think its one of the best Ive seen of its kind so far.

I laughed so hard at the 3:05 mark it still hurts.

Take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvXo4sGB7zM
I may not be perfect but i am myself.
I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
God = Guns, Oil, Drugs.

perez007usa

I just finished seeing that clip,,, it as fun-ney  :D, but true, if we let our guard down in protecting the net. The powers that be can just slap on the "1984" tag on ever thing. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING, and you what to hell with them, come voting time,,, if there is one,,, I will vote every stinking incumbent out, and if any who thinks that we are "ENVY" they won't have my vote.
"The Two most important days in your life are, the day you were born and the day you found out, WHY" -Mark Twain"

Tessera

Before we had the internet, we had direct dial-up sites. I know -- I was there.

We may simply need to go back to doing things that way for awhile... until enough damage is done to internet commerce that they will be FORCED to rescind that insane SOPA law.

And in the meantime... piracy will continue. In fact, it may very well escalate, as a means of protesting against this kind of totalitarian bullshit.

As always, these arrogant corporate maggots are cutting off their noses to spite their face.

I dunno, man. It almost makes me think that Timothy McVeigh had the right idea... just the wrong target.

"The more you tighten your grip Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers." ~ Princess Leia, "Star Wars"

perez007usa

Here's one just off the press.

White House casts doubt over anti-piracy legislation
ReutersBy Laura MacInnis | Reuters –

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - White House officials raised concerns on Saturday about online piracy legislation pending in Congress that Google and Facebook have decried as heavy-handed and Hollywood studios and music labels say is needed to save U.S. jobs.

In a blog posting, three advisers to President Barack Obama said they believed the proposed Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and other bills could make businesses on the Internet vulnerable to litigation and harm legal activity and free speech.

"Any effort to combat online piracy must guard against the risk of online censorship of lawful activity and must not inhibit innovation by our dynamic businesses large and small," said the officials, including White House cyber-security czar Howard Schmidt.

The House of Representatives' SOPA bill aims to crack down on online sales of pirated American movies, music or other goods by forcing Internet companies to block access to foreign sites offering material that violates U.S. copyright laws.

U.S. advertising networks could also be required to stop online ads and search engines would be barred from directly linking to websites found to be distributing pirated goods.

The search engine Google has repeatedly said the bill goes too far and could hurt investment. Along with other Internet firms such as Yahoo!, Facebook, Twitter and eBay, it has run advertisements in major newspapers urging Washington lawmakers to rethink their approach.

STEALING JOBS

Proponents of stricter piracy rules reacted strongly to Saturday's White House statement, which darkened prospects for legislation already expected to struggle to clear Congress in an election year.

"It is not censorship to enforce the law against foreign thieves," said Lamar Smith, a Texas Republican who chairs the House judiciary committee. He estimated intellectual property industries provide 19 million high-paying U.S. jobs and account for more than 60 percent of American exports.

"Congress cannot stand by and do nothing while some of America's most profitable and productive industries are under attack," he said in a statement responding to the White House.

Smith, in an interview with Reuters on Thursday, had vowed to press ahead with the bill in spite of criticism from Google and others and said he thought it would pass the House, where Republicans have a majority.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce said it strongly supported the House legislation as well as the "Protect IP Act" in the Democrat-controlled Senate, calling both "narrowly targeted bills designed to target the worst of the worst offenders."

"Given the broad consensus that this issue needs to be addressed, it is time to come together and adopt strong legislation that ends the ability of foreign criminals to prey on innocent consumers and steal American jobs," it said.

The Motion Picture Association of America said while the White House statement raised significant points, "protecting American jobs is important too, particularly in these difficult economic times for our nation."

And the Recording Industry Association of America, noting the United States is the world's top exporter of creative works, said it was intolerable for Internet companies to be allowed "to direct law-abiding consumers to unlawful and dangerous sites."

"Hyperbole, hysteria and hypotheticals cannot change the fact that stealing is wrong, costing jobs and must be contained," it said.

PUBLIC OPPOSITION

Schmidt and the other advisers said the Obama administration was ready to work with lawmakers on a narrower, more targeted approach to online piracy to ensure that legitimate businesses - including start-up firms - would not be harmed.

They also said online firms and Internet providers should adopt voluntary standards to clamp down on piracy, an approach Republicans in Congress and many companies have said lacks the teeth to have an impact.

Saturday's statement did not make clear whether Obama would veto the piracy legislation if it reaches his desk, something the White House would likely spell out more formally ahead of any votes in Congress.

Sherwin Siy, deputy legal director of the consumer rights group Public Knowledge, called on lawmakers to set aside the existing bills and get to work on a new "consensus bill" responding to the White House concerns.

"The messages being sent by the public in opposition to this bill are finally getting through to Washington," Siy said.

(Additional reporting by Diane Bartz, Jim Finkle and Tom Ferraro; Editing by John O'Callaghan and Todd Eastham)
"The Two most important days in your life are, the day you were born and the day you found out, WHY" -Mark Twain"

Schu

The stupidest thing about SOPA, is the simple fact that laws are already in place that can be used to stop internet piracy, plus copyright and trademark infringement. But no, the corporations want a free ride when they make millions/billions of dollars a year. SOPA is nothing but a greedy money grab and wont even work against internet piracy where existing laws can.
It's never the Liquor, it's just your brain rejecting reality.

perez007usa

Quote from: Schu on January 14, 2012, 07:27:26 PM
But no, the corporations want a free ride when they make millions/billions of dollars a year.

It's not that, they want total domination, of the free world, they even have the gall to get China. Look at the movies and some of the past scifi TV shows that centers around this, corporate this corporate that, and the mess they leave behind. Look out there, guys and gals it's happening already.
   There are Towns, small city's, and neighborhoods that are no longer there, cause the corporates are foreclosing on these places, talk about greed.

Now, they want to muscle in on the web, all they want is power, control and money.   

Schu

Quote from: perez007usa on January 14, 2012, 08:16:58 PM
Quote from: Schu on January 14, 2012, 07:27:26 PM
But no, the corporations want a free ride when they make millions/billions of dollars a year.

It's not that, they want total domination........

There is that too.
It's never the Liquor, it's just your brain rejecting reality.

Cat

MegaUpload Dangerous Secrets affect YOU, Mike Mozart JeepersMedia ACTA / PIPA / SOPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tD1yaE0GfQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Another video form him.

Tessera

Rajii

I love the MJ comparison..

Pretty much says it all.

beetle

Another thing that is wrong with SOPA are the abuses that could occur if it were implemented and how easily it would be to get a website shut down with false accusations. Especially the smaller websites of people who wouldn't have the money to fight back. Corporations would be able to file phony accusations against smaller sites who use copyrighted material under fair use laws and they wouldn't have the means to fight back.
Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got. Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Cylnar

That's the whole point...corporate control and monopolization of every single thing they can put their greedy paws on. >:(
Stupidity is self-perpetuating and self-propagating. Genius must constantly be exercised to flourish.
Religion is the wool that's been pulled over our eyes to turn us into sheep.
"Behind every great fortune is a great crime." -- Honoré de Balzac
Wise up...rise up!

perez007usa

Well, there are ways to fight them. If you can, don't buy things that you don't really need, now and then ride the bus, instead of putting gas in the car, or if your not that far from work or the grocery store ride a bike.  Cut down your expense's. In the long run it WILL hurt them.

What! what are they going to do? Force the people to buy their crap, buy gas, etc., etc. Make congress,(it hadn't stop them from doing so.) to make us buy their shit. Hit them were it hurts. THEIR POCKET BOOKS.  Remember, its not their wheeling and dealing that got them to be rich, its by taking our money and using it against us. And if you stop the flow,,,,,,     I'm just saying...