Ubisoft Online DRM: It's Worse Than Expected

Started by Cat, February 17, 2010, 08:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cat

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98396-Ubisoft-Online-DRM-Its-Worse-Than-Expected
It looks like Ubisoft's new online DRM scheme is going to be even worse than we thought: Gamers will need a constant internet connection to play Assassin's Creed 2 on the PC and if it drops, so does the game.

Arglaar

Yea.. I liked the first one of the series, and was planning on buying this one until they let out the info on the DRM they're using.

Now.. fuck em.  I'll just download the 1911 release when it's put out.

Hopefully reloaded doesn't get it.. they've been fucking up lately.

Caspa_tfng

Whereas most consumers will bend over and take it...

Tessera

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Claenteh1st

This means I'm pirating ACII, if I ever care to want it enough. Fuck you, Ubisoft.

This be Claen'tor, signing off.
'People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid' -Soren Kierkegaard
'There is no way within our limited scope that we could possibly grasp the entire universe because of its unlimited scope within an infinite scope of unlimited other universes'

anariel

Look, a game I won't buy even if it comes as a gift with some magazine. I'll pirate it, though, when I buy a new computer.

indeed777

That is entirely horrible.

Step 1 in fighting piracy: Ensure that the product your releasing is superior than the pirated version.

Kandid

Quote from: Tessera on February 17, 2010, 11:52:38 PM
Anybody who buys this is a moron.

Their target audience consists of morons, so...

Ubisoft can take their AC2 and shove it up their ass.

Tessera

Absolutely despicable. >:(

I want you people to understand that this is yet another example of why I retired from modding. I have spent the past few years watching the PC gaming industry systematically destroy itself. Horrible products, wretched DRM schemes, outlandish DLC scams, pitiful console-to-PC-ports, formulaic and unoriginal and uninspired time-wasters (like Dragon Age), outsourced artwork that looks as if it was finger-painted by trained chimps... you name it, and we've been inundated with it. There is no more integrity left in this industry at all. Every single month, we get another story like this one... which further confirms my reasons for being so outraged at the major gaming publishers. There hasn't been a truly excellent game released for the PC market since 2004. That's SIX FUCKING YEARS AGO. And that's the primary reason for why I finally retired from modding in disgust.

I keep telling people to boycott this shit... but nobody listens. And each month, you get a brand new reason to piss and moan at the PC gaming industry.

It is quite clear that the major publishers are hell-bent on pushing computer gaming over to kiddie konsoles, once and for all. Everything that they have been doing positively screams that this is their underlying agenda. By continuing to inconvenience and punish PC gamers, they hope to frustrate us into finally breaking down and buying one of those SHITTY console systems that the industry has so heavily invested itself into.

Well... I won't. I'd rather play older games like Bloodlines and System Shock 2 for the rest of my life, than to bow down to these greedy piles of corporate filth. They can all go to hell. And they won't be getting a single penny of my money ever again. If I buy any games in the future, then it will be from smaller publishers like Stardock... who still believe in taking a loss from piracy, rather than to alienate their entire customer base with gruesome DRM schemes and outright extortion.

I don't pay for the "privilege" of being exploited, dehumanized, insulted and abused. Ubisoft can suck my uber-hard cock.

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

perez007usa

I will start finding games that doesn't have this crap in it , or I just back to my old games. Care for some Duke Nukem 3D HD?
"The Two most important days in your life are, the day you were born and the day you found out, WHY" -Mark Twain"

lethargy

I actually had a preorder for this one -- it's now been cancelled. I will get this game from the torrent sites instead, which will be a version I can play any time, and save locally.

FUCK UBISOFT.

anariel

Derived beneficts from Tessera's posture: he won't need to improve his computer anymore, until the pieces fall apart.

Recon Ranger

Besides, if like yours truly he has several old games he likes he can just go from one to the next and back again. While we wait for other people to wise up and stop buying BULLSHIT!

zwadz

Ubisoft has found another way to get people to own this game. Newegg is giving away downloadable copies to people who by a new Intel processor. I guess they can then jerk themselves off when they talk about how many copies have been distributed. Then they will say their game is popular and will continue with their DRM.

Kandid

That's an interesting theory.

They say the game is fully cracked (took about one month) and can be played to the end without any problems. Ubisoft may persist, but I think they'll either give in and release their new games without this DRM, or decide to cancel the PC version of AC3 and their other titles.

Either way, I'm no longer interested in anything with their label.

Abd Al-Azrad

See, the funny thing is, nobody I've ever talked to really liked Assassin's Creed.  And Anthony Burch of Hey Ash has said it many a time unrefuted, and mega64 even brought it up at one of their con panels and the show of hands was one hand up.  It got huge sales because people saw the trailers and thought it was going to be good.  Heck I even bought the collector's edition thinking it was going to be good.  Then it was mediocre at best.  And of course everyone bought a copy that they can't return due to copyright laws, even though you can return other forms of medium such as books and the such.

I couldn't see myself buying the second game on any platform, but I play a lot of my games through Steam which is a form of online DRM.  Although Steam doesn't prevent you from playing all your games in offline mode when a problem arises so long as your credentials are validated.

Claenteh1st

Quote from: Abd Al-Azrad on September 28, 2010, 12:58:01 PMI couldn't see myself buying the second game on any platform, but I play a lot of my games through Steam which is a form of online DRM.  Although Steam doesn't prevent you from playing all your games in offline mode when a problem arises so long as your credentials are validated.

Does this mean that offline mode works for AC2? Would be nice, even though I'll still never buy it.

One game I do intend to buy is Beyond Good & Evil 2, and I really hope this online DRM is dealt with appropriately (read as died in a fire after being raped horribly by muck creatures) before then. Because if it isn't, I'll be forced to pirate it. I do not derive enjoyment from giving the finger to the people who put hard work on a product, but I refuse to let the people who market said product do the same to me.

This be Claen'tor, signing off.
'People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid' -Soren Kierkegaard
'There is no way within our limited scope that we could possibly grasp the entire universe because of its unlimited scope within an infinite scope of unlimited other universes'