Why I Think It Is GOOD To Pirate Commercial Games

Started by Tessera, August 30, 2009, 10:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anariel

Quote from: Ratcatcher on March 26, 2011, 10:46:57 PM
"Ubisoft have just made yet another piracy related screw up. Hot on the heels of their earlier usage of a warez crack to fix Rainbox 6: Vegas 2, the publisher is now accused of downloading their own soundtrack from Demonoid, re-encoding it to a lower quality and selling it to the public."

What? I want to hear more details of this one XDDD

Ratcatcher

Quote from: anariel on March 27, 2011, 09:49:01 AM
Quote from: Ratcatcher on March 26, 2011, 10:46:57 PM
"Ubisoft have just made yet another piracy related screw up. Hot on the heels of their earlier usage of a warez crack to fix Rainbox 6: Vegas 2, the publisher is now accused of downloading their own soundtrack from Demonoid, re-encoding it to a lower quality and selling it to the public."
What? I want to hear more details of this one XDDD
There you go.
I may not be perfect but i am myself.
I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
God = Guns, Oil, Drugs.

Tessera

May 26, 2011, 06:46:18 AM #57 Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 12:14:08 PM by Tessera
How To Play Civilization 5 for FREE and WITHOUT STEAM:

First, you will need a torrent downloader. My personal favorite is BitTorrent, but there are a few other good ones out there. You will need this software on your computer for any and all torrent files that you wish to download in this world. Do not worry... it is not a virus or a piece of malware. BitTorrent is simply a Windows application like any other, and it is perfectly safe. As for exactly what a torrent is, that's a lengthy explanation that I don't feel like getting into right now. Suffice to say that there are lots of people all over the world who have copies of the file you are trying to download. The torrent system allows everyone to upload and download bits and pieces of what they have to everyone else who is sharing that same torrent. Torrent software like BitTorrent simply locates where everyone is and then coordinates the flow of data between all of the people sharing that torrent. Torrents are also an excellent way for people to exchange files on the web, without having to worry about being harassed by law enforcement agencies. It is very difficult to trace a specific data packet back to any one individual... and not only that, it is even more difficult to prosecute anyone even if you -did- catch them, due to the fact that no one person is giving the entire file to any other one person. All of it is broken up into a billion pieces and there may be hundreds or even thousands of individuals sharing those pieces... all over the world at once. So like... no worries. And besides, any law which protects the super-rich at the expense of normal folks like you and me is a very bad law -- and bad laws were made to be broken.

Okay, so now that you have Googled for BitTorrent and installed it into Windows, here is what you need to do , in order to download a free copy of Civilization 5 and then, apply a large "crack" to it, so that it will launch and run independently... without any need for serial numbers, activation codes, or the Steam service:

(1) First download the game itself from The Pirate Bay. You can find an excellent copy of it here:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5846266/Civilization_V_-_Deluxe_Edition

Simply download that torrent (click the link that says "Download this torrent") and then unpack it afterward (it's an RAR file), to any location of your choosing on your hard drive. Do not try to play it yet.

(2) Download the extensive SKIDROW crack for Civ 5 from The Pirate Bay. You can get it here:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5851928/Civilization_5_Crack_from_SKIDROW_this_one_works

Download and unpack that file. You will end up with a whole bunch of files after it has been unpacked.

(3) Apply the working SKIDROW crack to the actual game that you downloaded in step 1. Simply copy all of the files and sub-folders from within the crack and then paste them into the actual game itself. If you do this correctly, then Windows will warn you that the files in question already exist and ask if you wish to overwrite. Just say "Yes" to all and allow the cracked files to overwrite the original game files.

(4) Run an anti-virus and anti-malware scan on everything, after you have finished with step 3. Just to be safe. We are talking about a pirate web site, after all... and anything can happen over there. I have personally never had a problem... but as I say, just do it to be safe.

(5) There are two different executable files which launch Civ 5. One is a normal DirectX 9 version and the other is a DirectX 11 version, for Windows 7 users. So if you are running Windows XP, then you want the normal "CivilizationV.exe" file. If you are using Windows 7, then you want the "CivilizationV_DX11.exe" file. So locate the correct executable file for your system, and then proceed to the next step.

(6) Highlight the correct executable for your operating system and then copy it.

(7) Now, right-click on any blank area of your Windows desktop and select "Paste shortcut" from the little menu that pops up. That's all there is to it.

(8} Double-click on your new shortcut and play the game. Make sure that you go into the Options menu at first, so that you can set up all of your personal preferences.

If you follow all of the above instructions correctly, then you will not only be able to get a perfect copy of Civilization V for free... but you will also be able to play it without any hassles from Steam. In fact, the game itself won't even know that Steam exists. It will become a completely self-contained, stand-alone game. THE WAY IT SHOULD BE. THE WAY EVERY GAME SHOULD BE.

Have fun out there. And remember: the best way to fight back against corporate greed is by hitting them where it hurts them the most: in their wallets. If enough of us stand together in this way, then maybe... just maybe... the amoral pricks in the software industry might just GET A FUCKING CLUE and stop bludgeoning us all to death with forced consumerism, draconian DRM and worst of all, MEDIOCRE PRODUCTS that are not worth full price. Not now -- not ever. Period.

Hey... I can dream. But in the meantime, I don't have to dream. And neither do any of you. Torrents and magnet links will bring these fucking industries to their knees eventually... and when that happens, I for one will be delighted. They've been asking for it for 30 years... and now, they're getting it rammed right up their asses.

Power to the people, baby.  8)

DISCLAIMER:

Software piracy is illegal -- so if you decide to follow any of these suggestions, then you do so at your own risk and on your own responsibility. I am simply presenting this information because... well, because this is a free country and I can say whatever the fuck I want, that's why. That right is guaranteed to me by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution. It does not say "You have the right to freedom of speech, unless what you say cuts into some company's profits." No, it simply says that I am guaranteed the right to freedom of speech, period. So blow me if you don't like it, okay..? And have a great day.

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Steeal

Has anyone here ever gotten a "letter" from their ISP or whatever concerning piracy or am I the only one?  In fact I got two, lol.

Then again I have pirated many many games.  There is only one cable high speed internet provider in my area which sucks because they shut you off.

But anyways even if you get caught it's a safe bet its only a warning.  Civ5 is a great game and I recommend using any and all means possible to play it!   ;D

Tessera

Nope, I have never received any such warnings, nor do I know anyone who has.

But yes... it is always a possibility. Everything in life involves risks... both great and small. And in this particular case, I consider the risks to be very small. Torrents are extremely difficult to identify and trace, for one thing. Magnet links are even harder. And trying to legally prosecute someone... even if you do somehow manage to catch them... is an incredibly difficult pain in the ass, especially if the accused is close-mouthed and uncooperative.

And beyond simply getting something for free, I feel that there is another issue for everyone to consider. It is in fact what this entire thread is all about: fighting back, non-violently, against corporate greed and exploitation. I think it is self-evident that money and power are the only things that these elitist parasites understand. So if you want to protest against them and everyone like them, then piracy is an excellent way for the common man and woman to give Big Business the finger.

Everywhere I go, I hear people bitching and saying that they want "change." Well there is something else that I know: at this sad point in history, change is never going to happen legally, through the system. Our legislators would have to be the ones to change the laws, and forcibly impose restrictions and accountability upon Big Business. But if there is one thing which should be obvious by now, it is that our legislators are mostly WHORES... who are in the employ of Big Business.

So then, what recourse is left to us all..? Whining endlessly, in the hopes that they will see the light one day..? Well that may be okay for the gutless sheep out there, who routinely bend over and keep taking yet another inch of corporate cock up their asses.

But as for me, I prefer to fight back... in any way that I can. And I do.   ;)

Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to describe a certain color to someone who has always been blind.  ~ Tessera

Cylnar

Quote from: Tessera on May 26, 2011, 06:46:18 AM
....Simply download that torrent (click the link that says "Download this torrent") and then unpack it afterward (it's an RAR file), to any location of your choosing on your hard drive. Do not try to play it yet.

(2) Download the extensive SKIDROW crack for Civ 5 from The Pirate Bay.

Download and unpack that file. You will end up with a whole bunch of files after it has been unpacked.

(3) Apply the working SKIDROW crack to the actual game that you downloaded in step 1. Simply copy all of the files and sub-folders from within the crack and then paste them into the actual game itself. If you do this correctly, then Windows will warn you that the files in question already exist and ask if you wish to overwrite. Just say "Yes" to all and allow the cracked files to overwrite the original game files.

(4) Run an anti-virus and anti-malware scan on everything, after you have finished with step 3. Just to be safe. We are talking about a pirate web site, after all... and anything can happen over there. I have personally never had a problem... but as I say, just do it to be safe.

(5) There are two different executable files which launch Civ 5. One is a normal DirectX 9 version and the other is a DirectX 11 version, for Windows 7 users. So if you are running Windows XP, then you want the normal "CivilizationV.exe" file. If you are using Windows 7, then you want the "CivilizationV_DX11.exe" file. So locate the correct executable file and then proceed to the next step.

(6) Highlight the correct executable for your operating system and then copy it.

(7) Now, right-click on any blank area of your Windows desktop and select "Paste shortcut" from the little menu that pops up. That's all there is to it.

(8} Double-click on your new shortcut and play the game. Make sure that you go into the Options menu at first, so that you can set up all of your personal preferences.

If you follow all of the above instructions correctly, then you will not only be able to get a perfect copy of Civilization V for free... but you will also be able to play it without any hassles from Steam. In fact, the game itself won't even know that Steam exists. It will become a completely self-contained, stand-alone game. THE WAY IT SHOULD BE. THE WAY EVERY GAME SHOULD BE.

So the game doesn't require any registry entries (installation), even in WinXP? :o

Quote from: Tessera on May 26, 2011, 07:05:30 AM
Everywhere I go, I hear people bitching and saying that they want "change." Well there is something else that I know: at this sad point in history, change is never going to happen legally, through the system. Our legislators would have to be the ones to change the laws, and forcibly impose restrictions and accountability upon Big Business. But if there is one thing which should be obvious by now, it is that our legislators are mostly WHORES... who are in the employ of Big Business.

There's no call to insult honest prostitutes by comparing politicians to them... :laugh:
Stupidity is self-perpetuating and self-propagating. Genius must constantly be exercised to flourish.
Religion is the wool that's been pulled over our eyes to turn us into sheep.
"Behind every great fortune is a great crime." -- Honoré de Balzac
Wise up...rise up!

Tessera

May 26, 2011, 12:15:03 PM #61 Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 12:26:01 PM by Tessera
Quote from: Cylnar on May 26, 2011, 12:07:25 PM
So the game doesn't require any registry entries (installation), even in WinXP? :o

That is correct. Just follow all of my instructions and then simply launch the game. If you have any problems for whatever reason, then try running the home-made "Fixer.exe" utility that is bundled in with the main torrent package. After you set everything up, you will find "Fixer.exe" located in the main Civ 5 folder. I think that little hack automatically fixes up your registry, if needed. After that, it should work perfectly.

Well... not perfectly. There is no such thing as a version of Civ5 that works perfectly -- whether you paid for it, or not. Like most software these days, Civ5 was released with several bugs in its engine and it also seems to suffer from a memory leak. It can sometimes crash, after you have been playing it for an hour or two. I suggest saving the game after about an hour of play, then shut it down, and then launch it again and pick up where you left off... from your previous game save.

Cylnar

Gotta love sloppy coding. ::) Not really. :P

But yeah, memory leaks and other buggy issues are a stupidly common problem these days. >:(
Stupidity is self-perpetuating and self-propagating. Genius must constantly be exercised to flourish.
Religion is the wool that's been pulled over our eyes to turn us into sheep.
"Behind every great fortune is a great crime." -- Honoré de Balzac
Wise up...rise up!

beetle

Quote from: Steeal on May 26, 2011, 06:51:04 AM
Has anyone here ever gotten a "letter" from their ISP or whatever concerning piracy or am I the only one?  In fact I got two, lol.

Then again I have pirated many many games.  There is only one cable high speed internet provider in my area which sucks because they shut you off.

But anyways even if you get caught it's a safe bet its only a warning.  Civ5 is a great game and I recommend using any and all means possible to play it!   ;D

Let me guess..... ComCast?
Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got. Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Cat

Quote from: beetle on May 26, 2011, 12:50:49 PM
Quote from: Steeal on May 26, 2011, 06:51:04 AM

Let me guess..... ComCast?

Got one when my brother downloaded FO3 dlc, but nothing ultimatey happened.

I have Charter

Tessera

Here's another resource for ya's. The following link will take you to a forum board run by folks who produce cracked versions of Steam games.

Play almost ANY Steam game without Steam:

http://cs.rin.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=32

There's lots of interesting stuff there, which I have no doubt makes Valve/Steam very, very angry. Which in turn makes me very, very happy.  :laugh:

Schu

Thanks for that link Tessera, I have been looking for ways of getting rid of Steam.
It's never the Liquor, it's just your brain rejecting reality.

Tessera

Quote from: Schu on May 31, 2011, 05:57:37 PM
I have been looking for ways of getting rid of Steam.

Aye... you and thousands of other people.

The fact of the matter is that the gaming industry has gotten out of control. With such schemes as DRM, limited installs, and the inability to resell your games, or even give them away after you've grown tired of them, the industry has effectively exploited, inconvenienced and insulted its honest customers for quite a few years now.

And what about their revolting practice of knowingly releasing broken and buggy games... and yet charging full price for those products..? What kind of lazy, irresponsible and greedy bullshit is that..?!

The buying public has been left with little to no recourse in such matters. Most retail stores won't even give you a refund for a shitty game... not if the packaging has already been opened. Which is of course ridiculous, because there is no way to discover whether or not a given game sucks without opening it and installing it. So once again, the honest consumer is exploited, inconvenienced, insulted and downright RIPPED OFF on a routine basis.

The law offers no recourse, thanks to the deregulation of big business and also, the fact that most politicians these days are effectively in the employ of the wealthy.

So then... what solution to this problem remains..? How can We The People fight back against this kind of greedy, dishonest and uncontrolled industry..? What possible way can we punish them for all of the above and more..?

I have thought about this issue for several years. And eventually, I came to the conclusion that the very best way to punish greedy assholes is to hurt them in the one place where they seem to feel the most pain: IN THEIR WALLETS. And the very best way for us to do that is to pirate the living shit out of EVERYTHING... until their collective losses add up into the millions of dollars.

This is not amoral on our part, either. How can you steal from a thief..? The industry has already proven itself to be a bloated gang of thieves, run from on high by selfish and insensitive publishers such as Electronic Arts, ActiVision, and all the rest of those revolting little polyester-clad pricks.

We The People have been screaming about this shit for years and years. The industry has responded by behaving tyrannically, using their wealth to leverage their way into doing whatever the fuck they feel like doing... and with nearly total impunity.

Well, it is my position that this bullshit needs to be stopped. And right now, piracy represents the very best way to stop it in a non-violent manner.

I am quite sure that there will be plenty of people who disagree with me on this issue. But I am also quite confident that there will be plenty MORE people who will agree 100 percent. Well then, for those of you who agree, I salute you. I hope that all of you will carefully consider everything that I have been saying within this thread and then... well, I think you know what to do.

I can not legally tell anyone else to resort to piracy, because technically that would be inciting others to commit crimes. But there is no law which prevents me from telling you HOW to get into piracy as a way of striking back at the industry. The rest is up to you. ;)

Cat

Quote from: Tessera on May 31, 2011, 08:15:34 PM
Quote from: Schu on May 31, 2011, 05:57:37 PM
I have been looking for ways of getting rid of Steam.

Aye... you and thousands of other people.

The fact of the matter is that the gaming industry has gotten out of control. With such schemes as DRM, limited installs, and the inability to resell your games, or even give them away after you've grown tired of them, the industry has effectively exploited, inconvenienced and insulted its honest customers for quite a few years now.

And what about their revolting practice of knowingly releasing broken and buggy games... and yet charging full price for those products..? What kind of lazy, irresponsible and greedy bullshit is that..?!

The buying public has been left with little to no recourse in such matters. Most retail stores won't even give you a refund for a shitty game... not if the packaging has already been opened. Which is of course ridiculous, because there is no way to discover whether or not a given game sucks without opening it and installing it. So once again, the honest consumer is exploited, inconvenienced, insulted and downright RIPPED OFF on a routine basis.

The law offers no recourse, thanks to the deregulation of big business and also, the fact that most politicians these days are effectively in the employ of the wealthy.

So then... what solution to this problem remains..? How can We The People fight back against this kind of greedy, dishonest and uncontrolled industry..? What possible way can we punish them for all of the above and more..?

I have thought about this issue for several years. And eventually, I came to the conclusion that the very best way to punish greedy assholes is to hurt them in the one place where they seem to feel the most pain: IN THEIR WALLETS. And the very best way for us to do that is to pirate the living shit out of EVERYTHING... until their collective losses add up into the millions of dollars.

This is not amoral on our part, either. How can you steal from a thief..? The industry has already proven itself to be a bloated gang of thieves, run from on high by selfish and insensitive publishers such as Electronic Arts, ActiVision, and all the rest of those revolting little polyester-clad pricks.

We The People have been screaming about this shit for years and years. The industry has responded by behaving tyrannically, using their wealth to leverage their way into doing whatever the fuck they feel like doing... and with nearly total impunity.

Well, it is my position that this bullshit needs to be stopped. And right now, piracy represents the very best way to stop it in a non-violent manner.

I am quite sure that there will be plenty of people who disagree with me on this issue. But I am also quite confident that there will be plenty MORE people who will agree 100 percent. Well then, for those of you who agree, I salute you. I hope that all of you will carefully consider everything that I have been saying within this thread and then... well, I think you know what to do.

I can not legally tell anyone else to resort to piracy, because technically that would be inciting others to commit crimes. But there is no law which prevents me from telling you HOW to get into piracy as a way of striking back at the industry. The rest is up to you. ;)

that why I buy used games on my console, not to mention I can ebay them if their crap.

Prob why their demonizing the used game market.

Ratcatcher

On that same note.

"Laws are not made because they are righteous. Laws are made because they advance somebody's political career."
(It should be noted that these are words that don't come from a rock-throwing masked guy, but from a professional politician in suit and tie.)

I may not be perfect but i am myself.
I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
God = Guns, Oil, Drugs.

Tessera

Quote from: Ratcatcher on June 01, 2011, 03:03:36 AM
On that same note.

Looks like he's saying pretty much the same things that I've been saying. I salute his rebel spirit.

And I had to smile when I saw that he is Swedish. The Pirate Bay was originally a Swedish web site.
But when the police raided them a few years ago, the owners of TPB fought back.. by moving the
physical location of their server to another country altogether.

The site has since changed hands a few times, so as to keep its location "on the move" and hence,
beyond the clutches of law enforcement. It has truly become a pirate web site, in every sense.

Power to the people. When the law mainly protects the wealthy elitists and simultaneously harms
the common person, then what does that tell you about the law..? And even more importantly,
what does that tell you about your own moral duty..? Should a moral person keep obeying an
amoral law..? Or should a moral person defy an amoral law..?

The answer to the above question depends upon the extent to which you have been programmed
into behaving like an obedient little sheep. That's the bottom line here.

Tessera

June 22, 2011, 07:48:39 AM #71 Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:20:55 PM by Tessera
GOOD REASONS FOR WHY YOU SHOULD PIRATE CIVILIZATION V:

(1) The publisher knowingly released Civ5 in a wretchedly broken, buggy and unfinished state.
(2) And yet, they charged everyone full price for what was essentially a broken product.
(3) What do you call someone who charges full price for an inferior and broken piece of merchandise..?
(4) Most of us would call people who knowingly, willingly and ROUTINELY rip us off a BUNCH OF THIEVES, would we not..?
(5) So with all of this in mind, should habitual thieves be rewarded -- or should they be punished..?
(6) Lastly... can you think of any better way to punish a bunch of thieves, than to turn the tables on them..?
(7) If you agree with all of the above statements, then pirating such games is actually the MORAL thing to do.

Yes -- I said it's the MORAL thing to do. Punishing habitual thieves by denying them their profits is the very best way to discourage them from any future thievery. That is my philosophy, so far as this issue is concerned. To knowingly release a product that is not finished... to willingly release software that you KNOW is seriously dysfunctional... and yet to smile and hold your hands out and ask for FULL PRICE for what is essentially half a product is DISHONEST THIEVERY, folks. If you wanna kid yourselves and call it something else, then go right ahead. But you'd be lying to yourselves.

A thief is a thief is a thief. And I can't think of any better way to punish a thief than to turn the tables on him or her... and show them just how rotten it feels to be stolen from. So if they're going to continue to knowingly release unfinished products and yet charge full price for them, then it is my opinion that the larger gaming community should respond by ramping up the degree of software piracy until these greedy and amoral assholes finally cave in and surrender. It really is the best weapon that we have, if our goal is to fight back against what is unquestionably a greedy, manipulative and immoral industry.

There are a number of people out there who will look at my list of reasons and say something like "But that's the way it's always been in the software industry." Well DUH... yes, I am aware of this fact. But what none of you seem to grasp is that it DOES NOT NEED TO BE THIS WAY. Forget all of the rationalizations, excuses and smiling bullshit spewed forth by software publishers, because none of those excuses bear up under intense scrutiny. No... they simply do it this way because WE ARE LETTING THEM DO IT THIS WAY. There is a complete lack of any regulation upon the software industry, thus they have pretty much done whatever they felt like doing... and laughed at the rest of us when we complained. Laughed all the way to the bank -- with YOUR MONEY in their pockets.

Hit 'em where it hurts: hit 'em in their wallets. Maybe even make their stockholders nervous in the process. And who knows..? Maybe they'll finally come crashing to the ground... which is exactly what Steam, EA, ActiVision, Ubisoft and all the rest of these parasites deserve.